Too Warm for a Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This weekend I will be diving in the St. Lawerence where there is apparently no thermocline. I have a 5mm Jacket and a 7mm FJ wetsuit as well a a dry suit. I am wonder if 70's are to warm for a dry suit. If it isn't what should I wear under it? I dove in a pool and was a little warm until I got into the pool, to bad I forgot what I wore. I am thinking of wearing a wick layer with a fleece PJ's and top as a core. I have only done my cert courses with a dry suit and would like to get more experience with it.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

It would be a crime to dive in the SLS in a drysuit right now. Doing those dives in a thin wetsuit is glorious.

Which dives will you be doing?

I was up ther a few weeks ago, and it was 74 degrees at 115' on the Keystorm. Honestly, aside from the issues of brushing up against zebra mussels, you could likely dive it in a shortie.... one of the guys in our group was just wearing the bottoms (farmer john) of his 2 piece.

I was in a 7/5 1 piece, no hood, and gardening gloves on the hands, and it was almost too much.... Last summer I did a similar dive in a DS, wearing only shorts and a wicking t under the ds. It was a touch too abrasive, and still too warm...

Dive it wet!!!!!!

TBH I have no idea, we are using Seeway Charters near Brockville. I am going with a group of people and this is my first time going with this group. Right now my only other thing besides that thick wetsuit is a rash guard for tropic waters. I did one dive on the Islander in Alex bay that's it. We are doing a shore dive, then 6 dives on the weekend.

Whether or not to use a drysuit depends on the type of drysuit. I think it sounds like a perfect dive for a TLS with street clothes underneath.

I was up ther a few weeks ago, and it was 74 degrees at 115' on the Keystorm. Honestly, aside from the issues of brushing up against zebra mussels, you could likely dive it in a shortie.... one of the guys in our group was just wearing the bottoms (farmer john) of his 2 piece.

I was in a 7/5 1 piece, no hood, and gardening gloves on the hands, and it was almost too much.... Last summer I did a similar dive in a DS, wearing only shorts and a wicking t under the ds. It was a touch too abrasive, and still too warm...

Dive it wet!!!!!!

I actually do have a 2mm shorty now that I think about it. I used my rash guard in Belize in November and was comfortable. Maybe I can just use my jacket or farmer john. Though we are doing 3 dives and worried that it will make me colder.

2mm shorty won't be good enough, I think, unless you're a very warm person naturally. A 5-7mm FJ or a 3mm full suit is ideal IMO.

I do like wearing the Drysuit as getting in and out of a wet suit is annoying, since I seperated my clavical from my shoulder. I am liking the idea of wearing board shorts and a non-cotton tshirt. As I am driving, it's not like I can't take everything. I have a USIA Deluxe Drysuit, I think it is bilam.

I also take a little longer when getting ready and leaving because of.....squirrel!

The idea of just takeing it off and hoping in the car sounds great.

I'd wear a long-sleeve shirt, a pair of shorts, and some socks. Bring an extra layer to add on between dives if you get chilly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom