Too much market for tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A short while back a thread was started with the title of “No Market For Tech” and since reading the thread and watching its tailings go off the deep end and seeing the current trends in economy and this industry I decided to ask the opposite. Is there to much of a market for technical diving?

Just today I saw a post on another board where a diver had a whole selection of good gear for sale at great prices, of that was some aluminum 40's. I saw the post only a couple minutes after it was started and immediately emailed the seller stating I wanted the tanks and would like a couple pictures for peace of mind. I wasn’t even gonna try and knock the price down and was willing to pay all shipping charges. I missed out cause the seller had someone else offer the same thing after me and he didn’t even care about pictures.

I have missed similar buys on things like regulators or spg’s or hoses or what ever and these items are often seen on ebay going for only a few dollars less than new. These sorts of buying frenzies can only be attributed to the ever growing number of tech divers seeking equipment.

I myself have 10 first stage regulators (7- mk17's and 3- mk2's) and 7 second stages (6- S600's and a dive rite) and I have 3 aluminum 40's, 10 aluminum 80's, a set of doubles and some 72's for sidemount. All that gear and I can barely call myself a tech diver but I am still on a quest to assemble all the necessary components to be more active in the tech related dives. Based on what I have and do then some divers must most certainly have much much more gear than me which has to increase demand and thus causes price increases.

When I see a scubapro mk17's go on ebay for $180-195 and last month the cost from the LDS was something like $205 with all the parts coverage I cant seem to figure out how people justify there expenses.

Along with a growth in tech divers world wide it seems the DIY’ers have begun to procreate as well with people paying more for scuba repair tools on ebay than would pay from scubatools or northeast scuba supply. Things like scubapro parts kits go online for more than I would pay to have my LDS service the reg and the cost of parts.

Now it seems companies have seen this growing trend and have upped prices to match demand and also to cope with the increased cost of everything else but I don’t think dive rite needed to drive the cost of the nomad from $699 to $999. That’s a thousand bucks for a BCD. I sure am glad I picked up my 07 model from Cave Adventures for $489 and I got some free stuff like stage rigging and some spools and a shirt.

Just today I watched 2 50' spools on ebay, nothing fancy just spools with brass clips, and last I checked they were over $30 + shipping. You can get a pair for $25 from cave adventures like me and that’s including shipping and stainless clips or for like $14 each from TDL w/ brass clips or even Dive Rite express has them for like $20 each but they are new and not used ebay ones. Come on this is getting crazy.

I was watching for the 500 lumen lights from dive rite to come back in stock at fill express or cave adventures and when they did they came with a $90 price increase. Some backup lights don’t even cost $90 in fact my current ones were like $35 and have been goin strong for a couple years. I emailed Fill express and Cave Adventures when the lights were still at $360 and asked if I could get a deal if I get 2 of the 500 lumen lights, Fill Expess simply replied with “we don’t give deals”. That says something, they do so much business selling things at retail pricing they don’t care about helping out a few people a day who want save some $$$ for their next big purchase. Cave Adventures offered me a great deal and I am just waiting for the $$$ cause its still a lot for me.

Watching certain items like tanks go up in price seems to correspond mostly to the cost of fuel now-a-days but even still seeing an aluminum 80 going for over $200 shipped is enough to make a grown man cry. When I bought my first and only new 80's they came from LP for $140 and included shipping and even some extra junk like boots and valve covers.that was only 2 years ago.

Certain gear is almost impossible to track down used for example the big blue box know as the Nitek HE was almost mocked to death but now those who have them usually have a couple and seem to cherish there little blue boxes and are hard pressed to ever sell them. Standard bottom timers seemed useless to the average OW diver after the creation and popularization of the dive computer but now its almost impossible to get one of the Uwatec timers which only stopped being produced last year.

We all have a set of jet style fins and love em but how many people actually liked them after the new fancy fins were being produced. Most rec divers dropped their heavy ugly black fins for something light and colorful and with splits and such. You could get jets for way cheap on ebay 2 years ago but now they go for only a few buck less than LP sells them and sometimes even more the LP sells them.

A BP/W was looked down at and viewed almost like something from space but totally lacking any sort of modernization. You never saw a BP/W on OW dive charters or in vacation hot spots or in rental racks but now they are blooming into use all over and on my trip to MX there was several divers throughout the week who boarded our boat boasting a BP/W. For rental gear a BP/W makes the most sense due to modular design and durability although few places offer this as a standard rental to OW divers.

As a standard most out of the way places had few options for tank rental, usually 80's and sometimes 63's and even a lp95 or 2 , but rebreather bottles or al40's or argon inflation bottles would be impossible to track down accept in areas with well established tech dive communities. Now I hear of breather divers going to 3rd world countries and finding 3 ltr O2 bottles.

Last year this time I knew some people who actually got a second pair of tanks with their breather purchase for free now they want $500 for em.

Maybe I am ranting and maybe its all just bs cause I am broke and cant afford to keep up with the hard core divers or the internet divers with big budgets but it seems to me like the growing percentage or technical divers has to be driving the cost of even used gear up.
Right or wrong the prices on gear are going up and used stuff next year will cost most than new stuff this year but I will continue to shop and watch for acceptable deals and try and talk shops down as much as I can in effort to afford the bigger items like lights, DPV’s, CCR’s, and the like.

I agree that sometimes things get a little crazy in terms of technical gear and the prices people will pay.

On the other hand, tech became acceptable only when both training agencies and equipment manufacturers figured out that technical divers, while small in total percentage of the market, spend about 10 times more than the average recreational diver on equipment. Before that it was just Voodoo Gas.

So in some respects what is occurring is inevitable. A lot of technical instructors training a lot of technical divers who buy a lot of technical equipment creating a sellers market.

I myself have 10 first stage regulators (7- mk17's and 3- mk2's) and 7 second stages (6- S600's and a dive rite) and I have 3 aluminum 40's, 10 aluminum 80's, a set of doubles and some 72's for sidemount.
<snip>
Maybe I am ranting and maybe its all just bs cause I am broke ....

Hello! Dude, you are driving the market up. :wink:

Personally, I think with all the internet competition, the ease and availability of tech-level classes, and the new tech-gear manufactures that pop up every month, it's more affordable for more people to get into tech diving. Not that this is necessarily a good thing...

.... These sorts of buying frenzies can only be attributed to the ever growing number of tech divers seeking equipment.

I see it slightly differently. In the current economy some people struggle a bit more than others. When an economy takes a downturn, most often luxuries like diving get put on hold or abandoned all together. When items do come up for sale, they usually go for very low prices to get a quick sale. The people who do have some finances and willingness to buy gear get in buying mode.

I do not think that these feeding frenzies are due to an ever growing population of tech divers to that extend. If this were the case, you would find similar feeding frenzies at normal retail outlets and thus prices going up in general. The tech diving community may be growing, but not that fast.

On the other hand, the retail outlets are struggling as well and thus need to put prices up too to cover costs...

I have missed similar buys on things like regulators or spg&#8217;s or hoses or what ever and these items are often seen on ebay going for only a few dollars less than new. These sorts of buying frenzies can only be attributed to the ever growing number of tech divers seeking equipment. ...
I am not sure the 'frenzies' reflect only tech divers. They may, but I think it is just as likely that somewhat inexperienced, non-technical, divers are contributing. I wonder if tech divers are actually in a better position to appreciate the appropriate prices for gear, and hold back from participating in these 'frenzies'.
NorthWoodsDiver:
Certain gear is almost impossible to track down used for example the big blue box know as the Nitek HE was almost mocked to death but now those who have them usually have a couple and seem to cherish there little blue boxes and are hard pressed to ever sell them.
The delays in the emergence of the X, and the rather high price of the X1 (and others), may have contributed to that as well. When the X was announced a couple of years ago as 'just around the marketing corner', more than a few people (and Dive Rite) dumped their Hes, in the $500 range, trying to get some money out of them before they became 'obsolete'. I bought one at those low prices, and now wouldn't part with it. It is not just a growing market, it is also the limitations on the supply side. Will the 'X' ever actually make it to the market?
You never saw a BP/W on OW dive charters or in vacation hot spots or in rental racks but now they are blooming into use all over and on my trip to MX there was several divers throughout the week who boarded our boat boasting a BP/W.
I am not sure if this is related to an increase in 'tech' interest or diving. Rather, a not insignificant number of recreational divers have experienced what many posters on SB have been saying for some time - a BP/W rig is a very functional, flexible and comfortable setup for all types of diving.
Right or wrong the prices on gear are going up and used stuff next year will cost most than new stuff this year but I will continue to shop and watch for acceptable deals ...
I fully agree that the prices I am seeing on eBay are in many cases ridiculously high. Two years ago, I bought a number of items (including 3 BPs) at very reasonable prices. Today, I watch but do not buy at all. I appreciate your frustration about used gear availability and prices. And, I am excited that more divers are pursuing technical training and diving. I am just not sure that the two are directly linked.

Will the 'X' ever actually make it to the market?

Colliam7,
You can track the progress of the NiTek X on the Dive Rite BLOG where we post regular updates.

I don’t think dive rite needed to drive the cost of the nomad from $699 to $999. That’s a thousand bucks for a BCD. I sure am glad I picked up my 07 model from Cave Adventures for $489 and I got some free stuff like stage rigging

NorthWoodsDiver,

The price of the Nomad wing and TransPac is comparable to the price of all our TransPacs and wings. The Nomad Expedition Rig on the other hand has grown and evolved over time to include more accessories, without us ever raising the price. The Expedition System not only includes the Nomad wing and TransPac but also the buttplate, crotch strap, bungee straps, hose retainers, stage straps and chokers, which make it a complete sidemount rig. If you where to buy all the parts seperately you'll find that the price exceeds that of the package.

Thanks for diving Dive Rite!

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Ag

Ag;

Thanks for speaking up. So too much market for tech or no market for tech? You should know.

Bryan

Ag;

Thanks for speaking up. So too much market for tech or no market for tech? You should know.

Bryan

While I reckon the amount of tech divers has certainly increased over the past 5-10 years and it is becoming more mainstream, it is still a very, very small market. Yet just as the tech diving market has increased, so have the options for divers - there are more 'tech diving' gear manufacturers out there today than ever before.

You can't blame divers for wanting top notch gear, even if they won't necessarily be diving to the deepest wrecks or the far reaches of every cave. Everyone wants to dive with good quality gear, that they trust and that they are comfortable in. For example, so many of us recommend a harness BC rather than a jacket style BC... we can hardly get upset if divers actually follow this advice. There is a reason why so many recreational gear manufacturers began developing back inflate systems - because that's what works.

And while not everyone will want to dive the deepest wrecks and the far reaches of every cave, can you really blame those who do? Few divers are into diving for the gear, most want to see and explore the world beneath... that can be very gear intensive and yes expensive... but I hear so is golf.

Hobbies... can't afford them, can't live without them. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom