Too much current for comfort ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last weekend? About 6 - 10 feet. Good viz in other words :wink:

yikes.

that means they would never find my body.

Catherine, I'll take the poor viz over the current any time. I guess it all comes down to what you are used to and comfortable with :)

Jeckyll - heavy current is where the good stuff is.

Quadra Island comes to mind - doing a trip to Dodd Narrows next month. Drop you in at one end - pick you up at the other end. Supposed to be 6-7 knot during flood - I suspect we won't be doing it at flood:D

However I too am not wild about swimming into current - that's what boats are for.

aren't you afraid of getting slammed into something, or tangled?

I need to see...

Catherine - vis in Quadra was pretty good both times I was there - 40 feet plus so no surprises. You don't dive full flood or full ebb (at least I don't, have heard that some do) so currents are at most 2 maybe 3 knots. Fast enough so it feels like flying, slow enough so that you can hover for a few seconds if you have to. Not a chance you are going to swim back against the current for very long however.

Dodd Narrows I believe is much the same becuse the water gets flushed significantly you get pretty good vis so no bumping into things.

Just looked at the current tables for Dodd Narrows for the month - max current on one ebb of 9.7 knots. Should be lots to see in the slack.

I haven't dove dodd narrows in a while. I miss it, drift diving is way better when you don't have to worry about where exactly you're getting out of the water.
This past weekend i was over in victoria with a couple of friends and we wet to dive 10-mile, it started out nice and calm but ended up with us holding onto rocks with both hands - it was exciting times.

Diver0001:
... There is a way to breathe on scuba and it isn't the way that most people breathe.

Rob,

Can you expand on that?

Bill.

Darnold9999:
Jeckyll - heavy current is where the good stuff is.

Quadra Island comes to mind - doing a trip to Dodd Narrows next month. Drop you in at one end - pick you up at the other end. Supposed to be 6-7 knot during flood - I suspect we won't be doing it at flood:D

However I too am not wild about swimming into current - that's what boats are for.
At 6 to 7 knots you won't see a thing ... by the time your mind registers what you're seeing, you'll be past it.

Did a dive in Agate Passage at about 5-1/2 knots once ... it was like watching a movie in fast forward. Don't even THINK about doing anything except going with the flow in water moving that fast ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

S. starfish:
This past weekend i was over in victoria with a couple of friends and we wet to dive 10-mile, it started out nice and calm but ended up with us holding onto rocks with both hands - it was exciting times.
Is that the dive where you get in on one side of the point (near a small parking area) then drift around the point and exit into a slot between some houses? Then you get to walk a block or two back to the parking area.

If so, I did that dive once and it was a great dive! Tons of life along the ledges and boulders ... but the entrance was a bit dicey ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom