Too much air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
When I was younger if I ran really hard. My mouth would get so dry I couldn't swollow and even have a hard time to breath.
The last time I went snorkling for about 45 min. I noticed my mouth was SO dry, and I got that feeling again. How is it in scuba? Anybody have something to help with this.

Steve,
You'll definately want to try out regulators before you go out and buy. My first reg was really bad, my throat would be burning after about 25 minutes or so, and I even found myself taking in salt water just to try and get something wet in there. I'd drink about a 1/2 liter of water after each dive just trying to get my throat back to normal.

Now my problem was solved with a different regulator. It wasn't until I was almost home when I reached for my water bottle and realized I hadn't sucked off of it all afternoon. Some regs are better than others with dampening the air that is coming out of the bottle. I have an Apexs. I hear Posidon is really good, as well as Scubapro, and I'm sure others will speak up on other regs that are good.

Alternatively you can solve it with other means as well. Some people talk about bringing a water bladder down so they can stick the hose in their mouth and get a drink of water. Definately an excellent idea to both deal with dry-mouth as well as keep your body hydrated. There are also filters you can put on the line to moisten the air as well.

The number one thing if you have issues with dry mouth is to shop around for regs and be sure to try a bunch before you buy, and hopefully you can find one right from the start that works well for you.

G'Luck!

Jeff

Drinking Water underwater ... hope you are not wearing a dry suit!

:boozer:

Ray

...but drink a whole lot of water before you get in the water. being well-hydrated in general will help a lot.

Just keep well hydrated - drink lots of water before and after you dive.

Air that is used to fill scuba tanks is filtered for impurities as well as taking a fair amount of the moisture out. This is to keep the inside of the tank(s) as dry as possible, so as not to lead to corrosion.

As FM has said, some regs have features that will aleviate this problem. One make he hasn't mentioned is Sherwood, who have specific additions to their 2nd stage that effectively "catch" the moisture from your breath & return it back to you on your next inhale. I know they have this in their Oasis & Blizzard regs, but don't know if they have it in any of their other models.

It DOES work: I dove a Blizzard for over 10 years. As soon as I switched to my new set up, I noticed the difference immediately. However, I've tried to compensate by keeping myself well hydrated before & after the dives.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom