Too many fin choices! Confused.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aichtwooh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:idk:
I initially wanted to the Mares Volo Power, but have read that they have some construction quality issues. I covet the Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water Split Fins but $200 is a bit pricey for me. So now I have narrowed it down to the Tusa X-Pert Zoom Z3 and Aeris Velocity X3. I also looked at the Sherwood Fusions, but can't seem to find any reviews of them. I am a newbie <50 dives. I mostly do shore dives in Southern California with a little Catalina mixed in. I am 5'2", 90 lbs, and not a strong swimmer. I often have trouble keeping up with my buddy (who was on swim team and water polo in high school, as well a life guard as a teen). Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer those that had been around for many yrs ie still in production.
Mares Avanti Quattro is one of those.
Jet Fin is powerful BUT probably too heavy for some divers.
You could suggest to your buddy to take up under water-photography so as to slow down!!!!

Look at force fin. After discovering that they worked great for me I've sold all my other fins.

I prefer those that had been around for many yrs ie still in production.
Mares Avanti Quattro is one of those.
Jet Fin is powerful BUT probably too heavy for some divers.
You could suggest to your buddy to take up under water-photography so as to slow down!!!!

He just got a camera set up :lol: But I'd like to keep up when he's not taking pictures. :D

The more you dive the less difference you realize some of these "momentous" decisions will make. Split fins, long fins, short fins, jacket bc, back inflate bc, blah blah blah. There are highly skilled divers using everything. It isn't the equipment, it's the diver that makes the difference. Get used, or new but get some good quality stuff. If you stick with major equipment companies you will have good enough "stuff" to enjoy diving. Happy diving.

Like the guy said it is more the diver and the type of diving you do that creates your needs for equipment.

Personally I have dove so many fins and finally found Reflex to suit me. I hate force fins, US Divers blades were to stiff, the old style navy fins did not impress me.

I would go to different dive shops and rent or ask to use different equipment and try it, like test driving a car, and then buy them. I found that dive buddies will also let you try their basic gear so you can evaluate it. This gives you a rather large product range to test drive.

I have yet to buy any equipment unless I had tried it or seen it in action, like dive lights, knifes, gauges, etc. I have even borrowed regs and found the sherwood to be the best, in my humble opinion.

Good luck.

The more you dive the less difference you realize some of these "momentous" decisions will make. Split fins, long fins, short fins, jacket bc, back inflate bc, blah blah blah. There are highly skilled divers using everything. It isn't the equipment, it's the diver that makes the difference. Get used, or new but get some good quality stuff. If you stick with major equipment companies you will have good enough "stuff" to enjoy diving. Happy diving.

Great advice! I was getting way too serious about this! :D

Like the guy said it is more the diver and the type of diving you do that creates your needs for equipment.

Personally I have dove so many fins and finally found Reflex to suit me. I hate force fins, US Divers blades were to stiff, the old style navy fins did not impress me.

I would go to different dive shops and rent or ask to use different equipment and try it, like test driving a car, and then buy them. I found that dive buddies will also let you try their basic gear so you can evaluate it. This gives you a rather large product range to test drive.

I have yet to buy any equipment unless I had tried it or seen it in action, like dive lights, knifes, gauges, etc. I have even borrowed regs and found the sherwood to be the best, in my humble opinion.

Good luck.

Also great advice. I don't know anyone my size who dives, but I didn't even think of trying various rentals. :eek:k:

You know where you do most of your diving and the booties that are appropriate. Take those booties to a shop and find the fins that have the best fit in the foot pocket. It is likely that those are the best fins for you.

I tried on Scubapro, Atomics, Oceanic, Mares, and ended up with Tusa split fins. When I needed new booties, I took my fins to the local shops. All the shops in my area, not just my LDS. Fit is too important in this area. Foot, booties and fins all have to work as one unit.

You might want to take the lead so that your dive buddy is following you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom