Tonga diving - what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finding this thread. In 2015 I spent about 3 months sailing and diving in Tonga albeit with our own on board dive set-up so not to much info on local dive operators.

I didn't find much about any diving near Nuku'alofa. There are some day trips to nearby 'Eua which I understand to be decent. I could only find Deep Blue and some Japanese guy running trips, but he seems not very much liked by the locals.

Vava'u has some ok-ish diving, and is a beautiful area top side. I'd recommend Home - Diving in Tonga Vava'u. dive courses Tonga Pacific Island. Whale swimming tonga as operator. Been there for a long time and run well.
Some info on diving:
Tonga (private)
Tonga (commercial)
Diving in Tonga

The best diving in my opinion was the Ha'apai group. Slightly less spectacular topside, less mountainous and spectaculars bays compared to Vava'u. More flatter islands with amazingly beautiful beaches.
My choice would be to contact https://www.matafonua.com/. Darren en Nina run a great operation, and Darren is an excellent underwater video/photographer and know all the best spots there.
I fell completely in love with the little lodge they run (and the excellent food!)

Feel free to contact me for any specific info.

I think the main/only reason Australians and New Zealanders go to Tonga to dive is to swim with humpback whales. Any scuba diving is incidental to that. I only know three people who have been there and that was well over 10 years ago. Sorry you are not getting many replies, you will not get any from Tonga on this forum that is almost certain.

Michael, thanks for your great site. Used it a lot when I was diving the Pacific!

fantastic reply findingMenno - will look into it and contact you

are you there currently? perhaps we should chat on PM. we were scheduled to go in january 2021 for 3 years o as far as we can tell it is still happening.

No I'm not there but definitely want updates from you. As it is a destination I want to go one day, it's in my neck of the woods (I'm from the south pacific)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom