Tokyo/Izu dive shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree that 5 mm. is the best all around suit for Japan, with a hooded vest, you can dive almost all year round. In the summer, you can see me in my one piece 5 mm. suit with hood (I always dive with a hood) although many use 3 mm. suits.

Women tend to need more exposure protection as they get cold faster in general.

Personally, I would not choose IOP. The entry can be difficult, even with low surf. I also feel it's not a great site for beginners. I think the deep stuff is a lot nicer than the shallow stuff there.

My personal preference is Osezaki. Clean entry, lots to see above and below water, and good for beginners up to advanced. Protected bay and nice gradual slope. Also has night diving on Saturday evenings year round.

Osezaki is a preferred weekend trip. Atami is an easy day trip.

My opinion, 2mm maybe enough for August through October, though depending on your body type and preferred depth, you could get cool. Personally, I think a 3mm is better, and 5mm is the best all round suit for Japan, I feel.

I've had good luck here with Jellies, though I am often in the US during much of August.

A full set of gear will run you 5 to 8,000 Yen at an operator. Some operators, like myself also have gear to rent, most likely a much higher quality than the dive site operators.

I'd like to do a day trip to Atami on a Saturday soon! I would like to do a two day trip to Oseaki soon as well!

Back
Top Bottom