Tokyo Area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coachrenz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like I will be going to Tokyo the week of April 11 - 16 and will likely get to dive only one day that I am there.

Any suggestions on can't miss sites that are near the downtown Tokyo area? I would prefer a shore dive, but could probably be talked into a boat/charter dive if it was going to be worth the extra money/effort.

I don't think I can go much farther than probably an hour or so away from the area since my gracious hostess is "allowing" me a day of diving, I don't also want to ask her to drive me all over the country.

I will admit my ignorance on the area, one of the reasons I am going, but figured that if I was going to be somewhere other than Puget Sound, I might as well drag my gear with me and get into the water. I get tired of writing Puget Sound as the location for all my dives.

I guess the first question I should have asked is if it is even worth lugging all that gear that far away for a day of diving?

Tim

The easiest site for you to reach is Atami, which is about 45 minutes from Tokyo via bullet train.

There is some dive site information on our web site, and if you need further information, let me know, we have additional data on our beta site.

For good shore diving, you'll have to go further down the coast, say, the Izu Ocean Park area.

In April, water temps are still in the 50-60 degree F range. Got a drysuit?

coachrenz:
I don't think I can go much farther than probably an hour or so away from the area since my gracious hostess is "allowing" me a day of diving, I don't also want to ask her to drive me all over the country.

One more thing, Atami is about 100 kilometers from Tokyo. In the morning, I normally leave before 6 am to arrive by 8 am and it takes about 90 minutes. In the afternoon/evening coming back, it takes anywhere from 2-4 hours. That is why we pick up and drop off at Atami station. Sometimes we give customers a ride back in the dive van, but only with the express understanding that it will take a much longer time to get back to Tokyo via the Tomei Parking Lot, er, Expressway. YMMV.

Thanks for the info. I have checked out your website. I will be finalizing my trip details in the next couple of weeks. When I know which day I will be able to dive, I will get back in touch with you. Did I read your site right that it would be like $160 for a day of diving? Is that from the shore or from a boat? Does it cost to shore dive?

coachrenz:
Thanks for the info. I have checked out your website. I will be finalizing my trip details in the next couple of weeks. When I know which day I will be able to dive, I will get back in touch with you. Did I read your site right that it would be like $160 for a day of diving? Is that from the shore or from a boat? Does it cost to shore dive?

That is correct, 18,900 yen for 2 boat dives. Shore dives will be less, perhaps 14,700 yen.

Remember that the cost of everything here is much more expensive, train fare down from Tokyo to Atami will be 3,880 yen one way.

Please keep in mind that we only dive on weekends and are not diving every week during the winter/spring season, although we normally have something every weekend during the summer. Let me know the dates and I will pencil something in.

Would appreciate an e-mail with details of your skill level, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom