Tobermory wreck diving pics!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good link, all the stuff listed under "Port Dover" is in my backyard, I've been on the crystal and tradewinds in that list, as well as several not show on that list. The only downside to wreck diving in this area is that most of that Port Dover list is beyond 130, so it'll be another year or so before I can see many of those.

Awesome! Sounds like you have protected them just in time. The wood looks like it is just been carved and sanded!

Here we have boilers left arround a few ribs of the ships. Some that arent that old are intact but look nothing like sanded wood. I have only seen a few wooden ships but they are so broken up and very little wood left! Mostly just the boilers and the props.

Well there you go. You learn somthing every day!

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon

Hey Carl, we have a lot of wooden ships intact. Not all of them are lucky enough to be in a protected park like the ones in Tobermory. But we seem pretty fortunate that we don't seem to come across divers that abuse them. Have a look at the link that Paula posted, click on Port Dover, and look at the Saint James. It's apparently completely intact. They believe it was toppled in a storm, because there is no visible damage on it.

It is like being in a museum! It would be intersting if they sucked all that silt out from with in it. I wonder if the stering wheel still would turn?

It would be like when she sailed. I wonder if it could be refloated?

Yours Truly,

Hi all!

I am glad you enjoy the pictures, I really enjoyed taking them!

I took time to identify the pictures carefully, so you can
go through one of Chris Kohl's books and learn the story behind them.

My favorite were the San Jacinto because it was completly devoid
of any "technology", dead eyes were still the norm and the bildge
pums still works, though you have to manipulate the pump by
the piston rods...

The other favorite was the City of Cleveland. it is HUGE
and had lots to see...

So yeah, the fresh water helps preserve the wood, so much so that I took
the time to brush silth off 2 pieces to show the beautiful wood grain.

When you are there, I recommend diving with DiversDen.com
G&S are good too, but G&S are more buisness oriented whereas
DiversDen are more passionate divers. And Dave the capt is soooo
funny!

I have a blast!

Pierre

PS: Please post links in other forums that have adjacent subjects...

Back
Top Bottom