Tobermory wreck diving pics!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice photos. It's a shame that most of the wrecks in Toby are so battered and broken these days. I love the look of a nice intact wreck.

If it is intact.....It is not a "wreck"......lets say ..Salvage!

& the wrecks in the pictures have been that broken up for longer than any of us can remember.

edit... ooops! Except for the Carolina Rose and that was torn up by the elements the first year she was under water.

G'Day Guys,

How old is the wreck? It looks like it is mostly wooden.
I am from OZ and i have never seen an ancore like that still with the wood on it! In the water anyways.

Nice white balance by the way.:wink:

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon:14:

Well come on up to Ontario, we can show you all kinds of beautiful wooden ships. Want a 2 masted wooden schooner that's been underwater for 150 years? We have several to choose from :D

Carl_Fallon:
G'Day Guys,

How old is the wreck? It looks like it is mostly wooden.
I am from OZ and i have never seen an ancore like that still with the wood on it! In the water anyways.

Nice white balance by the way.:wink:

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon:14:

Carl,

I'll give a quick answer as the OP is probably off line at the moment...

The pictures are of several different wrecks. The name of each wreck is above the photo. As my books aren't handy for exact dates - they all sank in the 1800s or 1900s. (note: Carolina Rose was sunk in the 1990s)

The condition of the wood is due to being in fresh water. The cold, fresh water protects the wrecks. & local regulations protect the artifacts from by being pilfered so they can be enjoyed by all divers, not just the first one to see them. It's an interesting collection of photos as the depth ranges from 10 ft to 90 ft or so.

Paula

Paula, The Niagara II is a pretty new wreck as well, right?

Jimmer:
Paula, The Niagara II is a pretty new wreck as well, right?

Correct. The Niagra II was intentionally sunk in the late 90's. I singled out the Carolina Rose as it was totally ripped apart it's first Winter under water at the current site during a storm. I never got to dive her when intact.

Here's a good site for Ontario dive info: http://www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving/

Paula

Back
Top Bottom