Tobago Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've decided on Tobago for my January trip, and am wondering if anyone has been, or knows someone who has been, and can give me some leads on dive ops and places to stay. I'm not afraid to pay, so don't need (or want) "tent" accommodations...ha!!!!!

CN

If you want to see the best that Tobago has to offer, you want to be up in the Speyside area in the northeast. Here you get some of the fastest drift dives in the Caribbean, and plenty of marine life to look at, including what is reckoned to be the world's largest brain coral.

You've got Blue Waters Inn, with associated PADI five-star centre Aquamarine, which is a nice resort in a quite, secluded bay, but only a 10-minute walk over a hill to the town of Speyside, which has a couple of rustic bars and restaurants (you've got to eat at Jemma's, which is a treehouse and serves some fab local food).

You've also got Manta Lodge right in Speyside itself, which has its own dive centre.

Most dives are within 10 minutes, and the boats are pirogue-style units designed to handle the swell, etc. Backward roll entry, little ladder to climb back on board.

There is the Maverick wreck down south, but it isn't all that hot, though I would look to do a trip to The Sisters on the western side of the island, it is usually the haunt of a shoal of hammerheads.

Peter Hughes is also running Wave Dancer around the island now, if you fancied a liveaboard, but I'd do the land-based option.

Mark

Thanks! Confirms what I have seen so far...trying to make sure I don't miss anything...

Tobago is where I met the above poster, Mark. He was there at the same moment as a hundred other Brits... but they were all bird watchers!

As Mark implies, Tobago is two vastly different destinations in one. You can get run-of-the-mill Caribbean diving (which is not to say its bad!) near the airport on the South end.

If you want the e-Ticket roller coaster ride, as mark says, go North to Speyside. I think the Blue Waters Inn is the spot for what Tobago vacations should be. The dive op left something to be desired in my estimation, so we made the quick drive (Mark's ten minute walk) over the hill into Speyside proper and dive with RedMan (aka: RedM diving). Much more my idea of a good time and more likely to find the Mantas.

The drive from the airport to Speyside is about 2.5 hrs and with right hand drive in the middle of the night, adding in mountainous switchbacks... may I suggest second gear?

Here's a trip report http://www.turq.com/trinidadandtobago/tripreports/report5.php

I rate it in the top 5 of the Caribbean.

Thanks Doc ( a lot of "Docs" on this board!). How do you get in touch with the Red Man?

cowboyneal:
Thanks Doc ( a lot of "Docs" on this board!). How do you get in touch with the Red Man?

No need. Just show up. He's on the island side of the road and just South of Manta Lodge.

Don't let the outside looks of the place fool you. It was my wife's first time in a grass-roofed hut gravel-floor dive op, but she wants to go back tomorrow!

You can book your rooms with Blue waters Inn and dive ala-carte with them, or go over the hill and hook up with the "Red Man". There are a dozen places to charter diving, it's just that I like his attitude the best.

Killer! I like a good op...I don't care what it looks like...

Coyboyneal,

Besides the diving, Tobago offers what Caribbean islands are all about. Rent a car and spend some time traveling the island. Visit King Peters Beach (my favorite) You can carry tanks with you and dive or snorkel right off the beach. Several other such beaches are worth visiting. Take an afternoon and hike the rain forest. Hire a guide or do it on your own; go to Argile Falls (sp) a three level falls that's really cool. You can stay at a high end resort like Blue Water Inn, or a Jeffery's Guest House near the airport. I can't say enough about Tobago. God! I hope the cruise ships never find this place!!!!

Never coy, but not cowed either, it's cowboy neal...hahaaa...thanks for the info! I'll be staying at Blue Water for sure...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom