Tobago Diving with PHD Wind Dancer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BILLB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
PDH’s motto Dive Easy was never meant for Tobago. The diving was challenging and all the skills you have were needed here. Why? Currents. Stiff currents similar to Cozumel. The only difference was the locations and virgin reefs. Viz from 20 feet to over 100 feet. Lots of really beautiful soft corals and the hard corals were in great shape too. Fish were plenty but not many big ones. Saw several turtles and a couple of nurse sharks. Big stuff happens here but not this week.

I was diving with by BP and Dive Rite wing. I think I made believers of the others who saw the control and movement I displayed. (Nitrox was 30-31% and $150 extra.) When the currents picked up, I never knew I had a tank strapped on my back. Also, took my reel and a really big SMB. Deployed it many times. The chase boat was always there to pick me up. Even though this was group diving, I frequently became separated from the group because of the raging currents (of which most of the participants stayed with the DM). The crew was great and never said anything to me. The deepest dives were to 110 feet and although they say 500 psi on board nobody ever checked (good, since I don’t like wasting my Nitrox).

One particular dive called the Kamikaze cut was dived twice. You are pushed through a cut at unbelievable speeds. The best dives were at Sisters Rocks where viz was over 100 feet. These are big pinnacles and with tons of sea life including the biggest spiny lobster I ever saw.

I did have an accident. My video housing flooded on the second day. I think I caught it in time, but the camera was through for the remainder of the dives. We did four dives per day and only one night dive (26 total including 2 on the last day). Lack of night dives was due to the currents at most of the sites.

Topside, the weather was windy but warm. The Wind Dancer rocked and rolled the entire time but I slept through it all. A side note; I chucked my “patch” on the third day and I survived. I think I have finally found my sea legs.

There was one wreck at 110 feet and sunk just a couple of months ago. By this time next year it should be crawling with nice stuff.

The trip to Tobago was three plane rides, which included a 20 minute hop from Port of Spain to Tobago. Tobago is a beautiful island but the people are dirt poor. Jamaica is a paradise compared to Tobago. The local DM was a native and he was great. Well spoken and knew every site extremely well. The on board instructor was a comely lass from England named Anne. She was an accomplished diver and even goes diving on her time off. Claims she has a boyfriend in Ft. Lauderdale.

This trip is not for everybody. But, if you like the challenge and want something really different, this is your place. BTW, the food was simply wonderful. I probably gained 10 pounds!

Back
Top Bottom