Toadfish eats Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bburkes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to preface this by saying I know I will probably get beaten up on here by posting this because of the fact that I presented the lionfish to the toadfish, so you if you going to post and tell me the obvious please, save it.

I was diving in Sea Grove, FL and I have noticed in the past that these reefs vary in the number of lions on them. Our group has documented that if we see a large population of toadfish we don't see many, if any, lionfish. Also the reverse is true. If we find a large population of lionfish we don't many toadfish.

Now here is the rational here. one of two things. The lionfish are some how driving out or killing the toadfish or the toadfish are driving out or killing/eating the lionfish.

So to the video. I was on a reef that had no lionfish, I thought. I had been spearing flounder and just before I was going to head up the anchor line I spotted a lion resting/ slow scooting along a ridge. I watched it for a while trying not to spook it in the crevious out of reach. I noticed that a toadfish had spotted it and was getting ready for it to pass and looked like it was going to get it.

In my mind, I had two options. I was at 900 psi, I could leave and hope that the toadfish would infact eat it or I could spear the lionfish insure its death and present it to the toad fish and see if it was spooked by it. Thus trying to figure out who was scared of who, or not. I choose the latter and here is what happened.

Spearing flounder and Lionfish eaten by toadfish - YouTube

this was shot with a gopro hero 2 w/ dive housing.
the mount was a BC mount w/ extension kit made by Z gear.
Z GEAR, Scuba, Carlsbad, CA 92009 - about

enjoy.

bburkes

yes tres cool, but why did I have to watch a fish oil advertisement to see it?

That was way cool. Ya ever been bitten by a toadfish? They hurt. There was someones line that was broke off in the rocks and I was trying to get it off the hook and the little turd bit me. Still got him off though.

Back
Top Bottom