To sling or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove with my new pony for the first time the other day and made several observations. I have a 19 CuFt hp steel pony so it is pretty heavy at about 8 lbs I think. I had it slung under my left arm with that dive rite sling setup but I really had alot of pull on my left side cause my weights were off center with the addition of that tank. I talked to some local divers who use a pony and they all recomended a permanent attachment to the primary tank. I wanted to get peoples opinions on this and if you have DIY'ed something please share pics. I have seen some pretty interesting sling setups done by the do it yourselfer but have yet to see any hard mount setups done DIY style. I dont mind paying for something but there are tons of setups and since everyone uses something different I figured I would ask.

As a side note I have 4 primary tanks and 1 pony so far, so what ever I do needs to switch easilly between tanks.

Thanks

First, you probably would be happier with aluminum next time, but that doesn't help now . . .

Just move 8 lbs from your left side to your right, and it should be just fine. If you were neutral without the tank, you could just remove 8lbs from the left side of your belt.

Not sure about the weight though. I've can't find any specs for a 19 Cu Ft HP Steel tank. What is it?

Terry

NorthWoodsDiver:
I dove with my new pony for the first time the other day and made several observations. I have a 19 CuFt hp steel pony so it is pretty heavy at about 8 lbs I think. I had it slung under my left arm with that dive rite sling setup but I really had alot of pull on my left side cause my weights were off center with the addition of that tank. I talked to some local divers who use a pony and they all recomended a permanent attachment to the primary tank. I wanted to get peoples opinions on this and if you have DIY'ed something please share pics. I have seen some pretty interesting sling setups done by the do it yourselfer but have yet to see any hard mount setups done DIY style. I dont mind paying for something but there are tons of setups and since everyone uses something different I figured I would ask.

As a side note I have 4 primary tanks and 1 pony so far, so what ever I do needs to switch easilly between tanks.

Thanks

Duck..you can catch a lot of fire on this subject....some think their opinion is the only one......

It all depends on your view of what the pony is for. If it is for you only, not to be handed off to someone else, then a tank mount would be fine. I use the ponease tank mount and it attaches to the cam straps so it works on any bc of any type. Handy if you dont take your own gear on trips. www.sea-lutions.com/ponease

If you view the pony as emergency air for everyone....then a sling would def be better and try adjusting your weights as mentioned earlier.

Good luck. Do a lot of pool work and see what works for you.

Yep, just move some weight from the left to the right, and all will be well.

As for WHY we sling.... It's just easier and safer. It it's slung, you can see the tank, and know if its leaking or not. The reg can be stowed safely out of the way, and not get confused with other regs, yet can be deployed immediatly. You have more flexability. You have the choice of turning the tank off, or leaving it on and can change it at any point of the dive. If line gets tangled on it, you can see it, and fix it. If you ever need to remove it, you can. You can even re-attach it again after removing it.

As for *giving* it someone :no won't ever happen. It's MY emergency air. If someone needs air, they can use my back-gas. Thats what it's there for.

And yes.....My opinion is the only one in this post. :D

FD

And yes.....My opinion is the only one in this post. :D

FD[/QUOTE]

At least you are polite about it !!

Sling to the east and sling to the west its all good

"Sling" quote the raven

NorthWoodsDiver:
I have a 19 CuFt hp steel pony so it is pretty heavy at about 8 lbs I think. I had it slung under my left arm with that dive rite sling setup but I really had alot of pull on my left side cause my weights were off center with the addition of that tank. I talked to some local divers who use a pony and they all recomended a permanent attachment to the primary tank.
I suspect that it is as much a matter of getting used to it as anything else. I dive an AL40 as a pony slung under one arm, and haven't had trim problems, even though the bottle weighs 18+ lbs when full. When I first dove with an AL80 slung under my left arm, with double steel 120s as my backgas, I felt the same way you describe, though - it seemed that I rotated to the left, toward the weight of the bottle. Now I don't notice it at all, but it took a few dives. I did not need to shift weight, only to get used to the different 'trim'. I strongly recommend slinging pony bottles - they are more accessible, easier to turn on and off, etc.

My current config is a single tank with a 20 pony mounted along side the back gas. I used a piece of 2" aluminum stock to slide under the upper and lower tank straps, then a couple of large hose clamps around the pony and the flat aluminum bar.

I am changing my rig to more of a tech rig for deeper dives so I will be slinging a 30. I may keep the back rig for a single on shallower dives.

It is interesting ....to me anyway.....that I mount mine on the right side of my main tank...I dont move weights around, and yet I no roll or balance problems. My internal fat must compensate naturally somehow.

Good to be cuddly!!

IMO aluminum is a better choice. My AL30 doesn't noticeably impact my trim at all. However, an 8 lb HP steel sure would. Just adjust the location of your weights to counterbalance. You should be able to work out your trim with a dive or two.

I much prefer slinging the tank so that I can see it clearly, have ready access to not only the 2nd stage but the pressure gauge, valve and 1st stage as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom