To shoot or not to shoot (photos, not fish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the requirement is that the entire group stay with the DM, then the operator should group people of similar interests together. If they don't, there needs to be a discussion before you enter the water, as to how the dive will proceed -- who will wait for whom, and for how long, etc. This is one of those things that is far better solved on the boat, because you can't really solve it underwater.

We had a similar situation in Cozumel. We were a group of five, who had been diving together all week, but on this particular day, we had a different guide and an extra diver. The guide told us he understood we were experienced divers and didn't need babysitting, but asked that we stay where he could see us, something to which we readily agreed. However, once we got in the water, the extra diver went with the DM and they took off like jackrabbits, leaving the five of us (three of whom were taking pictures) in the dust. To keep up with them, or even to stay where they could see us, would have required a total change in the way we had conducted our dives for a week. One of my buddies swam up with his wetnotes, saying, "**** the DM," and we all agreed, and proceeded with our dive as we wanted to do. When the guide realized we weren't coming, he waited at least long enough to acquire us visually.

In this case, we significantly outnumbered the single diver, so we had a "majority rules" feeling about the whole thing. In your case, with equal numbers, it's more difficult. So the real solution lies either in grouping divers differently beforehand, or relaxing the rules about having to stay together.

My biggest pet peeve is inconsiderate people... I try my best to never impose on anyone and I surly prefer others not to impose on me... If its a seahorse (not drifting); once the others are finished looking and moved on to other things then I will spend my turn catching my shot and as long as my buddy is with me and we can still see the group, I think nothing of it... Likewise, if someone lags behind to get "their" shot, fine but don't expect me to wait, a courtesy pause, yes, waiting, NO... We all have our agendas and its no ones business if I go 10' or 1000' as long as I don't break contact with the group in a non-drift dive!

Since the original question was regarding drift diving I will address it as such... If its Coz then thats what I went for... drifting... the faster the better...! For someone to tell me slower is better; well, its really none of their business... If I am not carrying my camera gear then I did not come to shoot. I or my partner will always have a compact for those just incase moments but for the most part, I/we will do our thing and you/yall can do yalls thing. I will give the DM the courtesy as to our expectations and if the Photographers agree then all is good but if the need to spend X amount of minutes in the channel to catch that Moray at just the right angle well... I will see you at the end of the dive!

jrwalsh20's experience would not have happened on the second or third dive as far as I am concerned... To sum it up, I wont get in the way of your photo and don't expect me to wait on you...! Oh, and another thing... Drifting or not; IF I find the Seahorse, Frogfish or such... you push me out of the way and I will cut your hose... :) Kidding about cutting the hose... might just cut the Achilles instead... :shocked2:

lee

PS since this is a edit, TSandM is correct... Like divers together and everyone is happy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom