to sharpen or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been reading up on RAW and wanted to know if anyone turns off the shapening mode on their camera? I read that once downloaded if you want to sharpen a photo then there is less noise if you have turned the sharpening off

If you're shooting raw, there is no need to turn it off on your camera. That is a filter that doesn't affect your raw file. If you are using ACR to do your conversion, you can set it to only sharpen the preview image so you can see it sharpened but wait until it is sized for final use before you actually do the sharpening - which is the best time to do it.

HTH

Yeah - what Mike said - RAW has no effects. The effects from the camera are in JPEG mode only. I sharpen in Photoshop if it needs it.

Always sharpen in software, not in camera.

The only time you should sharpen in camera is if you print directly from the camera or from the card without using your computer to enhance the image (i.e. using a photo kiosk or photo printer without a computer).

M

Marriard:
Always sharpen in software, not in camera.

M

Same here !!

Back
Top Bottom