To Replace...or Not...Canon G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest you step back and make a list of the types of shots you want to be able to make. Then decide what you have to do to your current rig to get there. Then determine if there is a cheaper route. Although sexy, swapping cameras is not always the best first step. Unless you have identified some fatal limitation in your camera.

Underwater photography is a journey, not a destination.

You mentioned the following issues:
- 2.5 second delay (what is the cause for this?)
- lack of ambient light ->strobes!
- wide angle -> lens / camera
- close up -> lens / camera

This was my original plan, however the long cycle time between shots in raw mode is 2.53 seconds, and won't change. This isn't the biggest one however, and I could deal just shooting in continuous RAW mode.

The problem is I can't find a housing available (since the G10 is so old) that will allow me to attach a wide angle or fish eye lens to it. The only one available seems to be the fantasea big eye which only attached via a bungee. Reading old reviews of how the older model fogs up and flares quite easily, coupled with the fact that it's not a hard connection to the case has pushed me away from this option. I think if someone had come up with a decent WA option for the G10, it would be a no brainer for me and I would try and keep using the same camera (which I love btw).

Strobe will be put on the list for sure...

kalare.... is the 2.5 sec delay really due to the camera, or is this a function of the internal flash combined with an auto/semi-auto mode? The reason I ask is that you can "speed up" most compacts (which are traditionally slow in the auto/semi-auto modes) simply by switching to manual mode (not really hard to learn - but I know is intimidating to most folks).

Sorry I missed that... RAW mode.

Faster memory cards work wonders too.

kalare.... is the 2.5 sec delay really due to the camera, or is this a function of the internal flash combined with an auto/semi-auto mode? The reason I ask is that you can "speed up" most compacts (which are traditionally slow in the auto/semi-auto modes) simply by switching to manual mode (not really hard to learn - but I know is intimidating to most folks).

Sorry I missed that... RAW mode.

Faster memory cards work wonders too.

Yeah, I always shoot full manual, or at minimum Aperture Priority (very rarely), in RAW only.

I don't recall what speed class my cards are, but I do remember buying what deemed the fastest I could find for decent price, though that was two years ago, so I don't know what's come out since. Since it's a G10 though, I would wager that the ability of the camera to write to the card would be the limiting factor over the ability of the card to be written to, since the camera is so much older than the cards.

The G16 in fantasea with Bigeye is intriguing, however I haven't seen any sample shots and comparisons between w/ bigeye and w/o bigeye. This would definitely be the most cost effective option however, though an S120 with a proper WA wetmate would only be 100-200 more I think.

Yeah, I always shoot full manual, or at minimum Aperture Priority (very rarely), in RAW only.

I don't recall what speed class my cards are, but I do remember buying what deemed the fastest I could find for decent price, though that was two years ago, so I don't know what's come out since. Since it's a G10 though, I would wager that the ability of the camera to write to the card would be the limiting factor over the ability of the card to be written to, since the camera is so much older than the cards.

The G16 in fantasea with Bigeye is intriguing, however I haven't seen any sample shots and comparisons between w/ bigeye and w/o bigeye. This would definitely be the most cost effective option however, though an S120 with a proper WA wetmate would only be 100-200 more I think.

If these are SD (Or any variant like SDHC, etc.), then yes... the camera will be the limiting factor as long as the card(s) are up to the task. Not true with Compact Flash, as they have more logic built into the card itself and they are not limited by the camera electronics (which is why they are most popular in Full frame and professional use).

Easiest way to "see" what the BigEye will do for you is to shoot the G16 above water. BigEyes are fine, but they essentially address the waters refractive index. Nothing wrong with that (albeit people could get into it deeper and discus appropriateness with certain focal lengths), but I think for the money I'd want to also get something that would also give me more bang and a different FOV/perspective (like a fisheye for example - very creative views!). Making an argument for a BigEye is almost like making an argument for a flat port as a means toward achieving macro abilities - it technically works (because of the refractive index combined with a compacts ability to go into macro mode), but nothing like a +3 (or choose your fav. diopter) wet macro lens to really make it happen!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom