To pack gear or not to pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPSundog

Reaction score
I am finally leaving next week on a long overdue trip to Thailand, followed by the Red Sea. I really don't have much of an itenerary other than lots of diving. I can stay as long as I wish in both places.
I know the season is off for going to Thailand at this time. I guess it is a question of east coast versus west coast now (correct?).
My real question is should I travel with gear or should I rent. I really like my gear (regulator/BC/toys), but it can really be a burden to travel with. Would I be better off leaving it at home and renting?

Well it really depends on money. If you are going spend weeks doing 3-4 dives a day then the rental may ad up. If you plan on staying in one place for an extended period of time I'd bring my own stuff.

SPSundog:
I really don't have much of an itenerary other than lots of diving... should I travel with gear or should I rent? I really like my gear (regulator/BC/toys), but it can really be a burden to travel with. Would I be better off leaving it at home and renting?

IMO, if you are going to be doing a lot of diving you should have your own gear with you. If it were just a few dives it would make sense to rent rather than carting heavy equipment around the world, but for a dedicated dive trip you are sure to end up with your share of problematic rental equipment. (Even for just a few dives I usually take at least my dive computer, regs and mask along.)

Added to that, at about $15 to $20 a day to rent a full set, you will be spending enough money to pay overweight charges in pretty short measure, if you're worried about baggage restrictions.

Hi Quero,
Thanks for your response. I agree, cost will add up, and it is much better to go with my own gear. It is not the baggage restrictions that worry me, it is simply the portability of the whole thing. That is a lot of baggage to carry around. I've already carried it around the world once, and am now going back again.
I understand that you are from Phucket area. Any suggestions as far as one coast or the other for the month of May? As I said, I really have no itenerary, other than getting off the plane heading for the beach, and staying as long as the fun lasts. Then it is off to Egypt.

SPSundog:
Hi Quero,
I understand that you are from Phucket area. Any suggestions as far as one coast or the other for the month of May? As I said, I really have no itenerary, other than getting off the plane heading for the beach, and staying as long as the fun lasts. Then it is off to Egypt.

Late April/early May is sort of the cusp between dry and rainy season here for us. (In fact it's already raining fairly regularly.) The implication for scuba diving here isn't rain runoff making vis bad, but rather monsoon winds making sea conditions rough. Most Similans liveaboard trips won't be running much longer because of the winds. But other than LOBs, we still have great diving on the Andaman side year round. You might find better weather this time of year in the Gulf of Thailand, but the diving simply doesn't compare with the Andaman side.

So if you are looking more for a few relaxing dives and lots of fun, sun, and crowds of divers to hang out with, go to the Gulf; if you want better diving, less crowding, and don't mind the occasional rain shower, come to Phuket (or Khao Lak, Phi Phi, Lanta, etc.).

Also take into account, that durinh the time the wind changes direction, there will be unstable weather on both sides, both at the Andaman Coast and at the Gulf Islands.

There will still be liveaboards going, especially during July and August, but also in May and June some boats will keep going out, e.g. this boat.

I just returned from Phuket. Read My post! However, I agree with previous post saying you should bring your own gear if you going to be diving for more than a few days. I brought all of my own gear and even though I had to bring a larger carry on bag to compensate for the space I lost in my back pack I think it was well worth it especially if you have a basic BC that doesn't take up alot of space. And 15-20 a day adds up guick if your on a budget. Especially when you can find decent hotel rooms for that in some ares. Granted I paid more, but I did find some bungalows on the Beach in PHI PHi for 600 Baht and basic rooms are easy to find in Patong or Karon away from the beach in that price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom