To macro or not to macro, that is the question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My new camera (Sealife Micro HD + SeaDragon 1200 lite) has a minimum focal length of 12 inches.

A 10x macro lens is available that supports 6 to 24 inches.

For my trip to Cozumel in February (drift diving, of course), would I find the macro lens very useful?

Since it is a new camera, and drift diving, and one more thing with which to fiddle, I'm inclined to not buy/take the macro lens. I will spend much of the time becoming familiar with the camera and light. I can't predict how swift the current will be, but I would imagine that macro photography in a current is much harder with fewer opportunities.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Macro is not easy on a drift dive, especially if expected to keep up with the divemaster. A shore dive (like mentioned above) would be a much better opportunity. You need time to take multiple shots, not only for exposure and focus, but for proper strobe position. I believe that will be your biggest challenge with the system you outlined.

There have been a number of good points made.

On my DSLR full frame, my 60 mm macro is my most used lens. I can get shots of angel fish and do decent close ups with it.

Generally, on drift dives, you can get behind a coral head and get out of the current. As noted above, macro shooting usually require multiple shots for exposure, framing, composition, and strobe placement. It works if your group is slow moving and looking at small things. you can actually shoot macro a Cozumel. Cozumel has a bunch of giant anemones which shelter a variety of crabs and shrimp that make really nice macro subjects. Also, if you do a night dive, a fast macro lens really performs well.

Back
Top Bottom