To Gold or Not To Gold, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog:
Can you explain to me why it is that standard neoprene suits take hours longer to dry than a GC or similar style suit? If water isn't absorbed into regular neoprene suits, and that great seals are what make the difference, why am I reaching for my GC 3mm over my still-damp standard suit? I don't mean to sound smartass - I really would like clarification.

My experience with custom, standard and lined suits is that lined suits do have a distinct advantage. But that's just my experience. However, I agree with you 100% that the achilles heel to GoldCore suits is their durability.

Water is absorbed by the fabric that is bonded to the neoprene. The GC has fabric bonded only to the outside of the suit. The inside of a GC has no fabric bonded to it but has the slick coating which dries quickly. However, the outside will hold water the same as any suit. No suit's neoprene should absorb water. If it does there's a problem.

my $.02:
I have a 3mm GC shorty and a full 7mm Hyperstrech. As soon as I don the GC, I feel like I'm sweating profusely (because the smooth gold skin doesn't absorb sweat). I much prefer the feel and comfort of the hyperstrech, but I'm sure it's not as warm as the more clingy GC.

I should add that I add a 3mm CG vest under the 7mm Hyper for deep dives where the temps drop dramatically under the thermocline. But for shore dives the 7mm hyper is fine.

Back
Top Bottom