to filter or not to filter... that is the question

when shooting underwater, do you prefer to use a color filter or do you not?

• YES, i use a color fliter

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • NO, i do not a color filter

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried a green water filter when I first started out, but found out that at the depths that allow decent visibility in our cold water, the filter takes away too much light and compromises the shutter speed and f-stop. I got a lot of brilliant emerald pictures of blurred subjects. The only time I was successful was in shallow beach dives within the coves where adequate light allowed some nice shots.

I used a filter for a few dives when I first started shooting underwater and threw it out as soon as I learned how to white balance at depth. The difference is in the fact that the filter tries to correct for a certain depth in certain conditions, no matter what depth you are at or where you are diving. Manual white balance is more accurate. If you want to spend a little money, invest it in a strobe that will do better than a filter and white balance combined.

opinion.png

Depends on the camera for non-strobe shots:

1. If you have a camera with no RAW, no Custom white Balance, then a Magic Filter is better than nothing.

2. If you have a camera with Custom White Balance and no RAW then as mentioned using the Custom White Balance will yield better results than a filter, especially at depth.

3. If you have a camera with RAW then that's all you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom