To Boot or not to Boot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I wanted to get your opinion. I've been told by one LDS RegTech don't use hose boots as they are the main culprit for corrosion around the hose connector and the 1st stg port. He said he has seen too many cases of said corrosion. I've also read on manufacturers websites that hose boots are necessary and should always be used. I think they said something about keeping the hose from collapsing near the connector.

Can anyone tell me if this collapsing possibility is a valid concern. surely they mean while the reg is being stored, as when it is under pressure, collapsing is unlikely.

Thx for your replies.

I use boots - I think they help maintain the minimum correct curve for the hoses both during transport and in use. I have seen a lot of situations in which the hoses get forced. But when I wash the hoses after use I pull the boots away from the metal fittings, force fresh water through them and only put them back over the metal when dry.
IMO the cases of corrosion come from lazy maintenance.

miketsp:
I use boots - I think they help maintain the minimum correct curve for the hoses both during transport and in use. I have seen a lot of situations in which the hoses get forced. But when I wash the hoses after use I pull the boots away from the metal fittings, force fresh water through them and only put them back over the metal when dry.
IMO the cases of corrosion come from lazy maintenance.

What he said.

Exactly...took me a couple of dives to figure out to check under the boots when cleaning, and I now pull them back every time I wash my regs after diving.

Would that be the manufactures of the hose boots or of the regs/hoses? In the manual for my Poseidon regs, it specifically says not to use hose boots (hose protectors) as they can promote corrosion and can interfere with the "overpressure relief" feature (unique to hoses supplying Poseidon's upstream 2nd stage design). If you're careful with your equipment, they shouldn't be needed anyway!

-Rob

SeaFlea:
Greetings all,

I wanted to get your opinion. I've been told by one LDS RegTech don't use hose boots as they are the main culprit for corrosion around the hose connector and the 1st stg port. He said he has seen too many cases of said corrosion. I've also read on manufacturers websites that hose boots are necessary and should always be used. I think they said something about keeping the hose from collapsing near the connector.

Can anyone tell me if this collapsing possibility is a valid concern. surely they mean while the reg is being stored, as when it is under pressure, collapsing is unlikely.

Thx for your replies.

My regulator technician opinion is that I prefer to use them. The potential for corrosion is increased but it is readily observable, you can easily tell when it is time to replace the hose, and a catastrophic failure due to corrosion of the fiting is unlikely.

On the other hand, not using a hose protector leads to excessively tight radiused bends that shorten hose life and can result in a catastophic failure of the hose with the potential to lose a lot of air in a hurry.

From reading some technical threads, seems like many folks with doubles dont use boots because they interfere with hose configuration. I have also heard mention that the boots are only needed by clumsy recreational divers like us....

JAG

rab:
If you're careful with your equipment, they shouldn't be needed anyway!

-Rob

Many times I have seen my hoses forced by the diver sitting in the next position on the dive boat while getting into his BC or when sitting down equipped after the dive.
On many boats the spacing from 1 cylinder to another is minimal.
I'll stick with my boots.

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess i've been using the wrong boots as mine wouldn't slide back. in fact they were quite difficult to remove. i fear i would do more damage to the hose connector by regular "sliding" of the boot vs. leaving it alone.

thx again.

Their there for a reason. Use them, maintain them... all will be well.

Back
Top Bottom