TLS350 Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traijin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have searched previous threads regarding this issue but most were ancient and I did not want to resurrect a thread from 2007. I was also hoping technology has improved.

I am moving down the slow path of getting into the Tech side of diving. I need thigh pocket for a secondary mask and folding knife... perhaps some other stuff.

I blindly bought an XS Scuba pocket and read some basic instructions. I bought Cotol 240 and aquaseal. Throughly coated the area I had marked for the pocket with a layer of the cotol. Let it dry all the way and coated the back of the new pocket with a full 3/4 ounce tube of aquaseal. placed the pocket and weighted it with about 30 pounds over night, The pocket was easily pulled off the suit. Aquaseal stuck in a few places where it went beyond the border of the cotol. So I clean every thing with water and let it thoroughly dry and reglued with just aquaseal. Did the same weighting and then peeled the pocket off this morning.

I have aquaseal on the suit I used to fill a puncture and it has never leaked nor shown any signs of peeling off. I have read plenty about the typical application and sewing the pocket on trilam. I just find it strange my aquaseal repair has worked without a hitch for 20 dives but I can get it to hold a pocket.

At this point all I have is a pocket with two coats of aquaseal on it.

Is the McNett Neoprene contact cement a better option?

Is the McNett Neoprene contact cement a better option?

This is what I have always used. I then go around the edges with Aquaseal after all is dry. It has worked for me.

I installed the same pockets on my BARE nexgen suit. As with your suit, the material did not take the aquaseal very well and they started peeling off after the first dive. I then tried using contact cement and I have not had any issues since. The contact cement is the same stuff I use for changing latex seals and can be found at your local hardware stores. Shop DAP 3 oz Contact Cement at Lowes.com

Sewing is the best option. Send it to Steve Gamble. Have two pockets sewn on at once. Light Monkey builds a very nice pocket as does Halcyon. I would recommend using one of those for the right pocket as they are slightly larger than the XS Scuba pocket.

Did you put Cotol into the Aquaseal when gluing it? I always mix the solvent in heavily (Almost 50/50) to thin the glue which allows penetration into the fabric. To be clear Cotol is a solvent for Aqualseal and can be used to clean the area from grease etc, but that is not why it didn't stick.

Thanks for the replies folks. I did not try to thin the aquaseal with the cotol, but that does sound like a thinner fluid would tend to penetrate/bond better. Some sources said not to mix aquaseal and cotol 240 directly, but I would venture to guess that is to avoid the limitations of volatile organic compounds in both products.

I wouldn't listen to those sources, but instead the manufacturer. I mix the components together in the middle of a spray can lid, and just keep adding Cotol until it has the right consistency. I have no idea what percentages I mix up, but if you want it to penetrate fabric it needs to be much thinner than out of the tube. FWIW I also buy the large tube of Aquaseal and store it in my freezer, and buy Cotol 240 by the quart. Then again I maintain a fleet of drysuits, or so it seems.

Cotol-240? Cleaner & Cure Accelerator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom