Titanium suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question might have been asked before, does the fact that a wetsuit has titanium content provides more insulation features than a typical neoprene with the same thickness. If so, is there a proportion on how much more?

wunat:
This question might have been asked before, does the fact that a wetsuit has titanium content provides more insulation features than a typical neoprene with the same thickness. If so, is there a proportion on how much more?

It is gernally regarded as bunk. It's another attempt to market a property that makes for warm topside wear. The same is true for fleece linings. The Merinoro (sp?) wool seems to have some merit though I have not studied up on it. Fit is everything. A thick enough suit that has very little room for water and keeps the same water as much as possible is the ticket. Don't forget freedom of movement and no restriction on breathing.

Pete

Bob3:
Yep, ditto what spectrum says, the metallic linings have zip to add to the insulative properties.
Some folks like them because they slide on easier.

To piggyback on what Bob3 said. The slick inside surface often can't hold stitching so these suits are often only single blind stitched. This may not be the end of the world since most of the strength is in the glued seam.

Pete

I agree with the others. If you see titanium flakes or such added to the neoprene, it's bunk. Now some suits claim titanium lined. If it's referring to the smooth skin than it's just a description. This skin is some type of poly olefin [teflon?] In itself it doesn't add any warmth but provides a whole body seal and doesn't hold oder and dries fast. Henderson Gold core is an example. Other suits use a silver lining and go by the name Glide Skin or titanium lined. The color is silver or titanium color.

Thanks for the responses. Was realy curious why many manufacturers are leveraging titanium content in their wetsuits and charging higher prices.

Thanks again.

The inner material Henderson's Gold Seal or Black Gold and other similar linings is commonly known as SCS, for super composite seal (or suit). The color does not matter. It works buy fitting tighter to your skin than any fabric laminate, thus keeping the water layer minimized. Bare rubber does this too, but is a b!tch to get on.
It also helps the suit stretch because it has no fabric to bind on the inside. They are a little tougher to get on than fabric linings, but not too bad. They also won't last for ever if you dive a lot. I wore out my 3mm Gold Seal in 3 years, with little gold left on the inside in wear areas. I think that's one reason they stayed with black in the Instadry.

Scuba Diving Magazine did a study on titanium many years ago and found no benefit. And they even used a sheet of titanium in their test, with no better heat retained.

I just saw a new suit in Australia called Radiator that is claiming equal warmth with half the neoprene of other suits. BS!

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom