Titanium regs and nitrox don't mix??? True or False

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits:
While I imagine lots of people use Ti regs with recreation nitrox all the time, there have been incidences of the reg actually catching on fire. .
Can you cite any actual examples?

wedivebc:
Can you cite any actual examples?

Hi Dave,

The only example I know of a titanium regulator catching fire was on the surface, attached to a deco bottle of Oxygen. There are photos here.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was an Atomic T1 and may have been contaminated from previous use. :huh:

I also remember hearing about a regulator catching fire on a rebreather that was pressured up and sitting on the deck, but I cant remember if it was a Titanium regulator or not.

BTW, congrats on your Cave Cert!

boydski:
Hi Dave,

The only example I know of a titanium regulator catching fire was on the surface, attached to a deco bottle of Oxygen. There are photos here.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was an Atomic T1 and may have been contaminated from previous use. :huh:

I also remember hearing about a regulator catching fire on a rebreather that was pressured up and sitting on the deck, but I cant remember if it was a Titanium regulator or not.
Thanks Boydski. Thankfully nitrox fires are rare and so that is why I asked for an example. I was aware of that one in San Diego. It was on a 80% tank and happened while opening which is usually the case. The rebreather fire happened on a dive boat in UAE and was on an inspiration rebreather. They do not use titanium but it is a strange case because the valve had been opened for a couple of minutes and IIRC the fire started when the user powered up the handset.
Phi Lee (decoweenie) took pictures of the boat as it was burning to the waterline. He was in the water having just recently left the boat rather quickly.

This might be a stupid post but I'm not sure I understand this.

I was under the impression that the titanium is just on the outside adding resistance to the outer layer of the second stage front while keeping the package light.

boydski:
Hi Dave,

BTW, congrats on your Cave Cert!

It was an Atomic T1. The owners manual clearly states not to use that reg with anything greater than 40% Oxygen. USN, NOAA, NASA have all done tests regarding Titanium. They really don't fare well above 40%.

marcbe:
This might be a stupid post but I'm not sure I understand this.

I was under the impression that the titanium is just on the outside adding resistance to the outer layer of the second stage front while keeping the package light.
In years past Mares had a PVD coating of Titanium(physical vapor deposition.) It was a thin layer over brass. Atomic came out with the first all Titanium first stage and others including SP soon followed.

Loosebits,
You haven't seen the new X650? Based on the old D400, but even better. I've been using one for a while now and its a great breathing reg.

So the conclusion I'm reaching is that if I want to dive Nitrox, I probably want to avoid anything with titanium in the 1st stage (too expensive anyways).

However, titanium in a 2nd stage, where the pressure is much lower (no more than 220psi in recreational diving), is fine, and I can safely enjoy holding less weight in my mouth. But it would be totally unsuitable for use in technical diving with trimix and heliox (not a concern for me, though).

Am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?

I'm trying to decide between Atomic M1 (titanium parts in second stage) and Atomic B2 (all titanium 2nd stage) for recreational diving. Mostly with 32% Nitrox, but I can't completely eliminate the possibility of diving air if I plan to go deeper than 90-100 ft.

pj5:
I'm trying to decide between Atomic M1 (titanium parts in second stage) and Atomic B2 (all titanium 2nd stage) for recreational diving. Mostly with 32% Nitrox, but I can't completely eliminate the possibility of diving air if I plan to go deeper than 90-100 ft.
Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money for titanium bits. On the second stage you're talking about maybe shaving off an ounce or so. Not really signifigant, and isn't going to make a night and day difference in terms of comfort.

The info loosebits posted above is pretty much exactly what I read in a dive magazine a couple years ago. And everyone knows that if it's in a dive magazine, it must be true.

I'm going to order a bedazzler off the 'net and start making "bling bling" regulators. I wonder if I could get anyone to buy a gold plated rhinestone encrusted "PiMP DaDDY" regulator... heheheheheheh.

Why can't we just stick with brass!

-Brandon.

I just noticed I was in the tech diving forum (found this thread on a search and didn't pay attention)...so here I would say titanium in regs is evil.

I'll go back to the recreational diving forums now and let you guys alone. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom