Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago the descendants had rigged the life boat davits in such a way that they could act as a sort of crane assembly to lift the partially air filled wreck from the substrate but they lacked the circuitry to operate them. Until they discovered Stockton's discarded Play Station controller in the sand near the air filled bow.

I had no idea there were so many experts on submarine design here on Scubaboard

Mine is still in progress.
But it shouldn't implode.

Attachments

• 20190201_103442.jpg
    20190201_103442.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 57
Getting back to the topic at hand, I'm surprised (as of midnight west coast time) that this is still up.

You'd think that would have been taken down quickly after the Titan was lost.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I'm surprised (as of midnight west coast time) that this is still up.

You'd think that would have been taken down quickly after the Titan was lost.

Why? Internet Archive almost certainly has a copy.

Honestly my question is why the comm silence about the implosion sounds being recorded by SOSUS and other ocean listening networks? James Cameron reports that those in his network knew about this Monday, and so did the USN who informed the USCG.

I understand continuing the surface search until you can confirm with the ROV but it gave a lot of people false hope that they were still alive, why?

From the perspective of the Navy and the Coast Guard, yeah, they heard a loud noise just after the mayday call. Anybody with both of those pieces of information is going to think it's pretty likely that the Titan failed catastrophically. But, "pretty likely" ain't really good enough, they needed to go out there and find concrete evidence of what happened. Until then, there is a chance that the noise was a coincidence. Like many folks upthread have said, if they called off the search as soon as the loud noise was heard, would the public be satisfied? Would the agencies be satisfied with themselves? Of course not

From the perspective of James Cameron, and the information available to him at the time, I think he put 2 and 2 together the next day, just like he said. But, notice that he did not walk around saying so right away. This is for exactly the same reason as the Navy and Coast Guard: a hunch, even a strong hunch, is not enough to call it while an international search is ongoing. If he had leaked his info out to the wider populace, would the outcome have been better? I think not. He was not certain, he was just "pretty sure." He made the right decision to keep his mouth shut publicly until the sub was found

As for how this was reported. Journalists do the best they can to achieve their goal of understanding the information and spreading it around. Their employers do the best they can to achieve their goal of selling consumers' eyeballs to advertisers. It's far from perfect, but it's the system we have

This is really not the topic to be bringing up unrelated debates about current and past politicians. Not sure how we got to that point after a good 40-odd pages of discussion on the lost sub. But I suggest that we try to stick closer to the topic at hand, fun as it is to throw a curveball into the mix

From the perspective of the Navy and the Coast Guard, yeah, they heard a loud noise just after the mayday call. Anybody with both of those pieces of information is going to think it's pretty likely that the Titan failed catastrophically. But, "pretty likely" ain't really good enough, they needed to go out there and find concrete evidence of what happened. Until then, there is a chance that the noise was a coincidence. Like many folks upthread have said, if they called off the search as soon as the loud noise was heard, would the public be satisfied? Would the agencies be satisfied with themselves? Of course not

A couple issues with that. They could've easily told the public about the likely result and continued the search until they had confirmation. Second is that we got the reporting of the banging on sonabuoys almost instantly after it was heard. Which likely turned out to be oceanic background noise, or the Titanic collapsing.

Honestly my question is why the comm silence about the implosion sounds being recorded by SOSUS and other ocean listening networks? James Cameron reports that those in his network knew about this Monday, and so did the USN who informed the USCG.

I understand continuing the surface search until you can confirm with the ROV but it gave a lot of people false hope that they were still alive, why?
That's my question too.
From the perspective of the Navy and the Coast Guard, yeah, they heard a loud noise just after the mayday call.
They didn't hear it after the mayday call but hours earlier. They must have know it was the sub after they got the call as soon as they got the call.
What Camaron said made the most sense. You look for stuff at the last know position. Dropping sonar bouy and doing that 'search' for what?
The minute I heard about the missing sub and saw that carbon tube I thought it must have imploded and wondered whether a loud bang had been picked up. Why didn't they report that they heard it. It's weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom