Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ballard and Cameron talk to National Geographic....

Attachments

• nationalgeographic.com-Bob Ballard and James Cameron on what we can learn from Titan.pdf
    801.9 KB · Views: 69
Carbon fiber may have been shredded in the implosion and drifted away in the current due to its light weight rather than falling straight down like the end bells.

Question: Are the materials dissimilar enough that there could be thermal expansion/contraction with them causing issues like debonding?

Also, remember, there has been an ongoing discussion of CF being fatigue vulnerable, hence the frequent statement of, "It is the wrong choice in this application."

"You know, at some point, safety is just pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk-reward question."

"I think I can do this just as safely while breaking the rules."

He doesn’t talk like an engineer who has ever actually engineered anything.
I think you are on to something. It looks like his total work experience as an engineer was two years with McDonnell Douglas "working on its APG-63 radar test and anti-aircraft programmes". Then he went on to business school.

He did build a Glasair III which is a fiberglass composite high performance experimental airplane. It's a kitplane though which means if he built it stock there's a couple thousand of hours of work but no engineering required.

Eh, company is going to go bankrupt, change their name and then sell tickets to explore the titan…
That’s a bit early for these
Did someone let you escape from the Pub?
thought this sounded more for the pub too

So when do you folks think the movie about this tragedy will be coming out? Is the ending going to be different, a happy ending, or the same? The proceeds I believe should go to the victims' families (except the dipshitt CEO).

So when do you folks think the movie about this tragedy will be coming out? Is the ending going to be different, a happy ending, or the same? The proceeds I believe should go to the victims' families (except the dipshitt CEO).
Give it a week or so and it will disappear from the news.

All these numbers are quite confusing and irrelevant.
Materials fail when the max value of sigma, in MPa, is exceeded. It is called their strenght limit.
For a cylinder with an external diameter of 2.0m and a thickness of 0.1m Sigma is 10 times the external pressure (400 bar=40 MPa).
So sigma is 400 MPa.
The compression strenght limit of carbon-fiber reinforced resin is around 2000 MPa (4000 in traction): so there should a reasonable safety factor, around 5.
Have updated my post as there was a decimal point out: the pressure is 10 times greater.

The reason I posted it is it explains why a tiny failure turns into an enormous implosion as 160,000 tons of pressure fills the void and makes a bang big enough to be heard umpteen miles away in SOSUS.

Back
Top Bottom