Titan LX Second Stage Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keyshunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
One of my Titan LX seconds (I have 5) has an issue that I can't seem to resolve. It intermittently had a very slight freeflow. It may go 10 or 12 breaths, and then begin bubbling slightly. Increasing the spring pressure to a point where it breaths much harder did nothing to prevent this intermittent bubbling. So, I did a complete rebuild on the second stage (IP is stable). The air barrel and shuttle looked clean. I replaced the seat and all of the o-rings, reassembled it, and...same thing. It seems that something is binding, but I can't find where. It is pretty annoying. I would appreciate input from someone who has experience with this type of problem.

Last edited:
Did you check the edge of the orifice with a luppe or a microscope? There might be some dings. Does it do the same when the purge cover and the diaphragm are off? Does the lever hight react to screwing and unscrewing the orifice?

Did you change the o ring around the oriface as well as the tiny one on the shuttle?
Is the demand lever bent, especially the tabs that contact the shuttle?

Elan,
One of the first things I checked was the clearance between the diaphragm and the lever. I did not use a loupe on the orifice edge. I would think that a nick here would cause a constant bubbling, but I will loupe it anyway.

Fishpie,
I changed all of the o-rings, even the tiny one on the end of the shuttle. The lever seems to operate ok. How do I check for bent tabs? I was just sitting here wondering if there could be a problem with the shuttle itself? I know that when Zeagle began making their own regs, they had some bad shuttles., but they were really tight in the tube.

I'm not sure if this 2nd stage is a balanced barrel poppet, but if so what you're describing is a classic leaky balance chamber. It takes a few seconds, but eventually enough air leaks out to allow the downstream air to push the seat off the orifice.

i have 2 second stage Titan LX, if someone of you,have the setting of the screw ( side of the shuttle, hardness of breathing ) it will help me.( from fully tight , how many anti clock turns of screw ? 2,3 ???
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom