Tissot Sea Touch, Does anyone have it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I just need to know one thing. Does it work?

I know many of you want to say my money could be better spent on other things. I know other will say that your dress/work watch and you dive watch should two different watches. I know I should just buy a cheap (inexpensive) diving watch and then buy a dive computer or a hybrid like the suunto D9

I want this to be my sports watch. I like to travel light. I only own a mask, fins, snorkel, and a belt, someday I will own more, but right now I don't want to lug a lot of stuff around with me, let alone store it. I want an accurate depth gage, compass, and time piece (not to mention something that clocks my ascent and descent rates. I do not want to rely on rental equipment. I want to own something that will bring me peace of mind and I think this will suite my diving needs for right now.

Regardless; I'm going to buy one of the Tissot Touches, but as I find myself caring more often about my depth and rate of ascension rather than altitude and barometric pressure. So as I stated before I just need to know this works and works well. :cool2:
Thank you for your help,
Cheto

P.S. You can see the cheesy advert on YouTube, Search "Tissot Sea Touch"

yes it works. bought myself one a week ago and been testin it in the open water.

starts divin mode itself, logs the whole dive. meaning depth and time.

standard functions under water are:

elapsed time of dive - shown in digital
depth - shown on outside ring
ascending/descending rate - shown in m/min or m/ft depending the model

verified the shown data with the computer of my buddy and everything seemed quite accurate.

the touch-glass is not active under water.

compass, temperature and lights can be activated for 15 secs under water.

no barometric or altimeter functions in the sea touch.

i like it pretty much as a sports style watch. but it doesnt replace a computer!
if u need more informations/functions for ur dive and logs as the ones i mentioned u might buy a proper computer.

kind regards
toni

I think I want one.
Is Ebay the best place to hunt one up pricewise?
Chug
(Collects Cheap dive watches)

Well I got mine from a authorized dealer at a mall here in the U.A.E. That said mine is all set in metric. Just need now dive tables now, no big deal. They wanted AED 3500 or about $958. I talked them down to AED 2800 or ~$767.
As there are no address here the is no online shopping. Hence I could not get a better deal online. But did I looked to see if I was paying too much and I think I was a little.

But here is the thing. In order to get the Tissot 2 Year Guarantee or in my case the international warranty you need to buy it from an Authorized dealer. As long as you get a little wallet sized card with the date of purchase, reference number, stamp of dealer and serial # your all good. Now I don't know if you get a watch from amazon or the dealer on ebay, if it comes with this stuff. So before you buy online you should make sure all this stuff is available to you

I would also recommend checking out tissot's website for information on the warranty and also they have a FAQ on the Sea Touch itself including all the ISO standards built in to the watch. I'm still too new to this forum to enter in the links on a post so you'll have to find it yourself, sorry. In the FAQ you can also find information on online purchases.

One final thought. If you get one of the watches with the rubber band, which I would recommend (salt water + steel + time = bad), you should keep in mind that they have to cut it to make it fit. Thus, what might be the right size for your wrist might not be the right size for you wrist in a wet suit. There are two small adjustment on either side of the band for small adjustments and on more on the clasp itself. Using all of these will get you around 6-9 mm of play. Should be plenty as long as you keep in mind that you'll be wearing a wet suit, something I forgot about but it should be fine. And if you mess up you can always buy a new band for around $60.

Here are some photos of my Sea-Touch next to my Citizen Aqualand.

Attachments

• DSC_1778DXO.jpg
    DSC_1778DXO.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC_1795.jpg
    DSC_1795.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,555
In the second picture... is that just the lume or does it actually light up like that??

Thanks

The Tissot Sea-Touch is a beautiful divers' watch, complete with a host of useful features. Like its other T-Touch counterparts, the Sea-Touch has managed to retain a clean dial, with the hour/minute hands almost magically performing functions usually assigned to sub-dials and additional needles. It could, however, have been a real work of art if the hour/minute hands had been designed more aesthetically, rather than the stern 'road sign' arrows that they seem to be.

Sea-Touch dive functions including dive depth, ascent rate and elapsed time, are the three basic ones that will do for any recreational scuba diver. The auto-actuation of the dive mode on contact with water below 5 ft, (and auto-deactivation 5 min after surfacing) is a also a great feature. The dive log book records all the basic dive data for later recall. All put together, it is more than a regular divers' watch (hence more pricey too) and, is likely to find favour with those who think dive computers are too geeky.

Compared to the first generation T-Touch watch, this one has several improvements including dual time, an LCD backlight and excellent lume that would be visible at the murkiest depths. The compass has got a useful fix, as it can be recalibrated if it gets magnetised and goes erratic. The 200 meter water resistance (incorrectly rated as 100m on the Tissot website) and double-sealed rubberised buttons give it a true diver capability.

Amongst the few depth gauge dive watches, the competition seems to come mainly from Citizen Aqualand. Others like Panerai Submersible Depth Gauge, Jaeger-LeCoultre Diving Geographic and IWC Schaffhausen Deep Two belong to an altogether different luxury league.

The Sea-Touch seems like a great watch, but its true underwater potential needs to be reviewed in earnest by someone who has fathomed it thoroughly in the 'deep'. Depth gauge accuracy, dive mode autoactivation/deactivation and bezel lume durability are items that need to be particularly evaluated in earnest, before the watch can be given a diver's thumbs up.

I can only think of only one shortcoming: the watch does not have a standard countdown timer for terrestrial use, though it has 'elapsed dive time' for the dive mode. For the same reason, it does not have a rotating 60-min bezel -- which shall be missed by the uncomplicated folks' who used it as an egg-boiler or a parking meter timer!

I've got one and I love it, but it's no substitute for a dive computer. The Tissot packaging and documentation gives many warnings how you shouldn't actually dive with it (since it may not be completely accurate). I've noticed the depth gauge tends to be inaccurate but I do like the ascent speed gauge since it is actually faster responding than my computer. I also like it because the dive time is displayed in minutes and seconds, another feature my computer doesn't have (I know, I think I need a better computer). I would recommend it but it is in no way a substitute for a dive computer. The log is great for showing you dive time, max depth (approx), and time in, but the feature where it shows you what depth you were at in 5 minute intervals is useless (goes so fast through it, only useful if you know a time and want to know the specific depth you were at then for some reason).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom