Tips,pls!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dandan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks alot for the helpful advice on the choice of 3mm or 1mm for a wetsuit.
I had gone ahead with the purchase, and settled on Scubapro 3mm full wetsuit.
And hence again, I like to hear about all the useful tips you guys had picked up from experience on the well maintenance of the wetsuit.
Should I rinse this wetsuit before I start diving?
I am totally clueless.

Once again, 10Qs
G'day :)

Hi dandan,

I can't think of any reason why it would be necessary to rinse the suit before diving other that if it had been tried on by others before you bought it.

As to care of it, I have used woolite and the LDS supplied brands of soap and they both seem to work well. When you have it hanging out to dry make sure it's in the shade as UV rays are damaging to the neoprene. Also keep the zipper waxed. If you dive in salt water be sure to rinse it before it dries out as the salt crystals become abrasive. If you can't rinse it right away after a ocean dive roll it up and put it somewhere where it won't dry up until you can wash it in fresh water. When you store it either lay it out flat or hang it from a wide hanger. They have the hanger at most LDS shops.

Safe diving

Sig's right, no need to rinse before use. When it's wet, it's harder to put on. A plastic bag always works....put your foot or hand in a baggie before putting on the suit, it makes it easier to wear...of course, remove the baggie once you've got it on.

I've washed mine in mild baby bath and it works wonderfully. No no to UV rays and yes, hangers please. During travel, it's okay to roll them but hang them sa soon as you can.

Welshman once bubbled...
If the suit is really a tight fit then baby oil or the equivalent is one way of easing the suit on.

I've always had the impression that oil (suntan oil etc) wasn't so good near neoprene....

Simple unscented talcum powder, works great.

Mike D

Hmm, the salesperson at the shop where i bought my wetsuit, recommended me a solution, which he claimed to kill bateria..
but i didn't have a good look at the solution, thus i missed the name (ouch!)
He also told me that a rinse in water after each dive will be just fine.

So i don't have to touch this brand new wetsuit, till I take it out for diving, rite?
I don't have to do any rinsing for it, before any upcomin trip?

Nope, no rinsing before.

The conditioner your salesperson has is fairly common. One type I know of is called enzyme. There are other brands though. He is correct for the most part a good rinsing is all that is necessary. If you get dirty though it's nice to use the soap, plus in my personal opinion, it keeps the suit conditioned. Oh and rinsing doesn't always take those odors out like soap does. A rinse most of the time is all that is need, every once in awhile though, toss some soap in though.

KY jelly is also very good to use to get into a tight suit and it's water based.

Thanks to you people for being so helpful.
Really appreciate that.

Can't wait to apply whatever tips u guys taught in use..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom