tips on cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowfish

Registered
Reaction score
hello everyone,
Leaving saturday 12/27 for the underwater of Cozumel...for 2 weeks..
We are staying at Iberostar Cozumel the dive shop there is Dressel Divers
anybody could rate this shop ? should we reserve in advance ? Should we use a different dive cie and have them pick us up at or dock?
I heard most cie are good .
any other tip will be greatly appreciated !

snowfish:
hello everyone,
anybody could rate this shop ? should we reserve in advance ? Should we use a different dive cie and have them pick us up at or dock?

What is a "cie" ?

Anyway, I've used Dressel Divers in Dominican Republic and from what I hear the shop in Cozumel is run the same. Dive sites are pre-determined and listed on a dive board at the shop. If you are diving all week it is likely you will dive the same site more than once. Bottom times are limited to a maximum of 45 minutes. Your dive group may have a mixed bag of diver abilities. You may have divers in your group that are doing their certification dives.

I would recommend going with a different dive operator. They all will pick up at the Iberostar dock.

Board favorites include: Aldora, Liquid Blue, Cozumel Equalizers, BlueXTSea, Papa Hogs, Living Underwater, Deep Blue.

I dove with Aldora last year and they were great... Small boats, 6-8 divers, they will pick you up from the dock and maintain your equipment for the duration of your stay... no pre planned sites, you pick! Also, they have 120 steel DIN tanks... So if this is your first time drift diving, I recommend one. Expect 50+ minute dives... I logged a night dive with them that was 80 minutes long!

to the Scuba Board!
I'm going to cozumel next month with a group of people from here. I hope you have a Great Time and come back to the SB and post a Trip Report. I've never been to coz as a dive and I'm this excited! :boings:

Mike

The Goose:
The coral heads and swim thru's are awesome! Make sure to hit up Columbia Deep! Is this your first time Drift Diving?

Aldora will not disappoint. They are more expensive but well worth it. Check out www.aldora.com. Memo at the front desk will be glad to assist and will answer emails as well. Must dive computer. If you don't have one they will provide you with one. All DM are outstanding. Columbia site awesome. Anywhere on Columbia is outstanding.....especially like Pinnacles. Have a great time

The Goose:
I dove with Aldora last year and they were great... Small boats, 6-8 divers, they will pick you up from the dock and maintain your equipment for the duration of your stay... no pre planned sites, you pick! Also, they have 120 steel DIN tanks... So if this is your first time drift diving, I recommend one. Expect 50+ minute dives... I logged a night dive with them that was 80 minutes long!

Thank you for the info! what are "DIN " tanks? and yes it's our first time drift diving . I contacted a few operators ; Deep Blue and Living Underwater responded quite rapidly so now I must decide who to pick...

DIN is a type of tank valve... Typically, most people have a standard yokeWhat the store would do is attach an adaptor to your regulator.

Also, try to relax in the current and DON'T fight it... You won't win! You will just suck down your air in a matter of minutes... Use your fins to control your speed. It will take a couple of dives to get use too, once you do get use to it, it's awesome! BTW, You have to go on a night dive in Cozumel, definately a must!

snowfish:
hello everyone,

Snowfish,

My wife and I have been to the Iberostar in Cozumel three times now. I dive with Dressel when I am there. They have always taken good care of me. More advanced divers may want to go with other operations, but if you are looking at doing some nice comfortable dives, then I recommend them. Ask for Remon or Ramondo.

Wish I was going also....

And welcome to SB. :biggrinba Great place to hang out, learn, compare, argue. Put us in your Favorites on your computer :lam: and check-in often.

Here is a long list of posts on Cozumel. You might look over those and let us know if we can help with anything in particular...

click here: http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=8039

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom