Tips for the 10 minute treading portion of OW certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also add that if you access to a pool you might try taking really deep breaths. I normally will not float but if I take in a really deep breath then I can. Release it slowly and not all the way then take your next really big one.

I train in (Olympic) weightlifting, so I can relate to your concerns. When I took the test I was instructed to keep my hands with fingers extended and together, the forearms horizontal and perform an arc motion in and out. When moving in, palms are angled at 45 degrees toward the body, when moving out palms are 45 degrees outward. Legs do a circling motion, but don't extend or bend completely, it's not an ample movement.

What I found out is that the energy required is not much at all. Moving frantically doesn't help, slowing down and being in control does. It also improves your breathing pattern and thus your buoyancy.

there's a reason we use eggbeater in water polo where your hands aren't always available. Hand sculling with a proper body position should be able to keep you at the surface nearly indefinitely with little effort

on @Saniflush 's comment, if you do that, MAKE SURE you exhale ALL THE WAY. taking full breaths like that often leads to CO2 retention and that's super bad and if you aren't used to any sort of breath hold training *as a musician, and regular freediver, I obviously am* it can also make you light headed, so be super careful. While I can float with a full full breath of air, I find it a lot less comfortable than just breathing normally

Thank you for clarifying that for me @tbone1004. I am a lot better about thinking my post than I am writing my post. I meant to say that I do not breath my breath all the the way out until my lungs are empty. Just to the natural pause of the exhale.

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who was apprehensive about this, and for me it was one of the more difficult parts of being certified. I was similar in body structure to you (rocking the full-on dad bod now, so I've got a little more float in me) and did some research on the techniques mentioned here.

Thanks for the replies so far. @tbone1004 that is a lot of good points.

As for the actual class I went to the orientation for it to get more information about it. I believe that he said you have 2 options for swimming, and I also remember him saying that the treading part is basically more of a "don't drown for 10 minutes and don't touch the side of the pool" kind of test and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying you can just float if you can do it, but as mentioned, I unfortunately have never been able to really do it.

@Rooster59 I will also look into the eggbeater kick thanks.
Your instructor was correct in saying the rule is simply don’t drown for 10 minutes. There is no rule requiring you to tread water.

Just be glad that you don't have to do it with a weight belt on, like we used to. For those of us who float like a rock, that was a double insult!

Get yourself a pair of magic shorts.

Nobody wants to see you naked, you are allowed to wear shorts to protect your modesty.

We had a guy that had the same problem. We had him do it in salt water with a pair of magic shorts. Treading furiously he made the 10 minutes.

Another thing to keep in mind is you only have to keep your nose out of the water to get air. The more of you in the water the less energy you will use, even if you do not float.

Get yourself a pair of magic shorts.

Nobody wants to see you naked, you are allowed to wear shorts to protect your modesty.

We had a guy that had the same problem. We had him do it in salt water with a pair of magic shorts. Treading furiously he made the 10 minutes.
LOL what are magic shorts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom