Tips for navigating Edmund's U/W park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How do y'all find your way around? A buddy and I made a dive there yesterday, swam out to a buoy and dropped down, but couldn't find any lines that are on the map. Visibility was poor, 5', during a second dive I found a couple lines that were covered in kelp, is that pretty much a consensus?
Also, who ran the lines? I'm thinking maybe we should get a weekend together and elevate them so that it's easier to navigate? or should I just keep diving it and get more familiar with the place?

I find that half the fun of diving there is having something loom out of the soup for your amusement. You can get a waterproof map down the street at Underwater Sports. They take the proceeds to help fund their (usually) every week volunteer work at the park. Most every Saturday and Sunday morning they are working to improve it.

My suggestion is what you asked: Yes, just keep diving it. Or, team up with one of us that dives it often for a little tour.

Sea ya!

The lines are easier to see in the wintertime. In summer, they get overgrown with kelp, and you recognize them more by seeing a straight line of thicker kelp.

I generally navigate the park pretty simply -- swim west x minutes, swim north y minutes, swim south y minutes, then turn east and go in to shore. In the meantime, explore anything that looms out of the mist!

Also, who ran the lines? I'm thinking maybe we should get a weekend together and elevate them so that it's easier to navigate? or should I just keep diving it and get more familiar with the place?

Be sure you don't miss what's going on in the lines themselves... they're often full of life. Big Cabezon blend right in, rockfish, shrimp, and crab abound.

Steve

Kwbyron:
How do y'all find your way around? A buddy and I made a dive there yesterday, swam out to a buoy and dropped down, but couldn't find any lines that are on the map. Visibility was poor, 5', during a second dive I found a couple lines that were covered in kelp, is that pretty much a consensus?

Couldn't find a rope trail? The majority of the buoys are attached to blocks at the intersections of the cinder block and rope trails (except for a couple of buoys with dive flags which are attached to each end of the Triumph). The trails are laid out N-S-E-W covering most of the 34 acre park. Yes, most of the ropes rapidly become habitat, and are difficult to see in the Spring expecially in low vis. Almost all of the rope trails are currently a double cinder block wide, spaced on 5 foot centers and have anywhere from 8 to 16 3/4 inch ropes threaded through them. Saturday we just threaded another 800 feet of rope to extend a new trail, Erratic Way out near the park Boundary.
Work crews of volunteer divers, led by Bruce Higgins for the last 29 years, are the folks who placed the rope trails. He has made this park his pet project for many years and you will find him there every Saturday/Sunday/ and most holidays leading work dives to improve the park.
The underwater portion of the park receives no funding from any City/County/State/Federal source. It survives on a shoestring budget with contributions from divers, the sales of park maps, and support from dive shops like the Edmonds Underwater Sports. The Edmonds Underwater Sports store supplies free air fills for the volunteers, a meeting place for the volunteers each Sat and Sunday morning, temporary storage for projects and materials, prizes for the annual pumpkin carving contest, etc. Their assistance is greatly appreciated!

Pulling the trails out of the bottom is done occasionally on the near shore trails which get buried in the shifting sands. We pulled out Jetty Way on New Years day this year and started building rock piles along it to make it more visible, it is already beginning to show signs of disappearing again. The trails which are further off shore typically don't require this kind of maintenance and have become permanent habitat.

Feel free to come down any Sat/Sun to the Edmonds UW Store and join the work crew at 9:00 AM. Any help is appreciated.

Cool, I'll join ya'll....I need to start logging some underwater volunteer work, then I can apply for scholarships easier. Not to hijack my own thread...but where can I find out about volunteer cleanups and such?

Kwbyron:
Cool, I'll join ya'll....I need to start logging some underwater volunteer work, then I can apply for scholarships easier. Not to hijack my own thread...but where can I find out about volunteer cleanups and such?

Well, in addition to being a consistent volunteer at the EUP, I'm also one of the so-called "rope owners" at Seacrest. I run occasional work dives there about once a quarter to clean the boundary rope so it's easily seen by divers. There are also several diver led efforts each year to clean up around fishing piers, etc. Emerald Seas dive club did a fishing pier cleanup at the Edmonds fishing pier a month or so ago. Kitsap diving association, Don Larson, leads a cleanup in Sinclair inlet annually. There are ususally several clean up efforts centered around Earth Day as well. This forum and the NWDIVER forum usually have these announcements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom