Tips for finally picking up diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divireves

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey everyone, first time poster here, and I figured this would be a good place to ask for some tips and thoughts - apologies for probably the millionth topic of the like, but I thought I'd ask a few things here on top of reading the earlier discussions.

It's been years and years since I first went on a discover scuba dive in either Croatia or Greece, can't even recall which since it's been that long, but I loved it and have been wanting to get more into it ever since. However, due to being a broke student and other more pressing matters it never came to fruition - especially since the one time I went to a course introduction back then, they required you to purchase all gear in order to be able to attend and complete the course. With that, it was simply not feasible and I kind of gave up on it for the time being.

Now that things have changed, and the spark still being there, I'm looking into finally getting things moving with something that I've been wanting to explore for years. So, here are some things I'd like to hear some thoughts on to have a better idea on how I should go about it. Thanks to everyone in advance! :)

So, I'm located in Finland, and I'm not exactly all that interested in diving around here - rather travel a couple of times a year somewhere south for that. However, it would be possible to take the PADI OW course here as well, of course, and I'd surely take something up occasionally here as well to keep progressing and learning more, even though my main goal is to dive elsewhere. I guess my question here for starters is, how much gear do you need to acquire yourself in order to make the hobby feasible, and how much of it can usually just be rented? I'm aware that it will vary to some extent, of course, but a general idea would be really helpful. If I end up diving when travelling, I wouldn't want to be carrying a whole lot of gear with me anyway, so I'm looking for something minimal for starters at least.

And in the other hand - is it worth it in general to take the PADI course, or would it make sense to stick to discover scuba with the frequency being rather scarce at least in the beginning? The reason I'm considering taking the course instead is that I do want to be able to have more choices on the locations, and on some past trips, there have been places where the license would've been required in order to book a dive - and I'm fairly certain the frequency would keep going up once I properly get into it, heh.

Lastly, as far as I've understood, the PADI OW license allows you to go dive together with another certified diver - I don't have any friends that would be interested in tagging along for the journey, but I assume you can just book a trip through a dive shop, and they have experienced guides, groups, and all that so there's no need to worry? And again, I'd hope it's usually possible to rent most of the heavier gear through them at the same time?

That's all for now I think. I'd highly appreciate any tips and thoughts on how to proceed. Thanks again! :)

I would recommend doing the OW or the equivalent at home with referral for check out dives in the Caribbean, Red Sea, South Pacific. Followed by fun dives in that location. You will have a greater appreciation of the intricacies and less reliance on an overtaxed guide going forward. Do a few more trips at OW and if you are staying or getting more passionate about it consider doing Advanced OW or the like at home including the dives. You will be a more complete diver that way. If the thought of cold dark water ruins it for you, do AOW on a trip.

There will always be other single divers at resorts that you can buddy up with. Maybe even make plans for future trips with if you get along real well.

I would recommend doing the OW or the equivalent at home with referral for check out dives in the Caribbean, Red Sea, South Pacific. Followed by fun dives in that location.
This.

@divireves, sticking with Discover Scuba dives for the rest of your life would be pointlessly limiting. The PADI (and other agencies') OW course is widely available and at reasonable cost. As arew+4 pointed out, you can do the first portion of the course in a pool in Finland and finish the rest of the course in a warm sea somewhere. The dive shop through which you sign up for the course will let you know what equipment you should purchase now and what equipment you can continue to rent at your destination. A common decision is to own a mask/snorkel, fins, dive computer, and wetsuit, and rent a buoyancy compensator (BC) and regulator set. (Tanks and weights are typically included in the cost of the dive trip and not counted separately as rental gear.)

Very common here (in the U.S.A.) is the requirement to purchase mask, fins (and booties), and snorkel (maybe weight belt, too) for your OW course. You'll use the dive shop's scuba gear (cylinder, buoyancy compensator device (BCD), regulator and gauges, and wetsuit) during your pool instruction, included in the price of the course. You'll need to rent or purchase scuba gear for the open water (i.e., quarry, lake, ocean, etc.) part of the course, which takes place after you have successfully passed the classroom/e-learning and pool parts of the course.

I recommend that you do your open water part of the course there in Finland. Doing so will prepare you for diving in local conditions. I think you will enjoy diving much more, and you're likely to do more diving, if you are able to dive locally.

Good Luck,
rx7diver

In addition to the advice (all good) in earlier replies, I'd add the following about equipment (in the order I'd purchase them):
- Mask snorkel fins - you don't want to be renting them because fit will often be a problem, and you do not want a leaky mask or fins that give you muscle cramps - or fall off...
- Dive computer - often possible to rent but in my opionion not a good idea since an unfamiliar display and user interface can take a lot of your attention during the dive, which can detract from your enjoyment or even be a safety issue.
- Wetsuit, BCD, regulator set can wait, but you may find that as you dive more you want your own: lots of rental gear is not in the greatest shape.

Also:
- Dive shop - after you've picked a destination check here on SB for trip reports, stories, recommendations for dive shop / instructor. A good instructor makes a big difference.
- Local vs warm water diving - Becoming a certified OW diver in warm water does NOT prepare you for cold water / drysuit diving. You'll need more training / course(s) for that, and what @rx7diver said.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend doing the OW or the equivalent at home with referral for check out dives in the Caribbean, Red Sea, South Pacific. Followed by fun dives in that location. You will have a greater appreciation of the intricacies and less reliance on an overtaxed guide going forward. Do a few more trips at OW and if you are staying or getting more passionate about it consider doing Advanced OW or the like at home including the dives. You will be a more complete diver that way. If the thought of cold dark water ruins it for you, do AOW on a trip.

There will always be other single divers at resorts that you can buddy up with. Maybe even make plans for future trips with if you get along real well.

Thank you for the tips! Any recommendations on referral within Europe? Caribbean or South Pacific might be a bit of a reach to start with, but I do hope to eventually make it there as well!

This.

@divireves, sticking with Discover Scuba dives for the rest of your life would be pointlessly limiting. The PADI (and other agencies') OW course is widely available and at reasonable cost. As arew+4 pointed out, you can do the first portion of the course in a pool in Finland and finish the rest of the course in a warm sea somewhere. The dive shop through which you sign up for the course will let you know what equipment you should purchase now and what equipment you can continue to rent at your destination. A common decision is to own a mask/snorkel, fins, dive computer, and wetsuit, and rent a buoyancy compensator (BC) and regulator set. (Tanks and weights are typically included in the cost of the dive trip and not counted separately as rental gear.)

Cheers, that pretty much confirms what I thought - even if it's not as frequent in the beginning, it's still worth it to take the course. The costs are indeed not too bad, either. Good to know what's generally included in the cost of a trip as well.

Very common here (in the U.S.A.) is the requirement to purchase mask, fins (and booties), and snorkel (maybe weight belt, too) for your OW course. You'll use the dive shop's scuba gear (cylinder, buoyancy compensator device (BCD), regulator and gauges, and wetsuit) during your pool instruction, included in the price of the course. You'll need to rent or purchase scuba gear for the open water (i.e., quarry, lake, ocean, etc.) part of the course, which takes place after you have successfully passed the classroom/e-learning and pool parts of the course.

I recommend that you do your open water part of the course there in Finland. Doing so will prepare you for diving in local conditions. I think you will enjoy diving much more, and you're likely to do more diving, if you are able to dive locally.

Good Luck,
rx7diver

Thanks for the recommendation! Initially this is the option I was first considering, since I'd like to complete the course in one go, and then go forward to dive in different locations. Enjoying a dive locally as well definitely sounds like a good addition to more exotic destinations, but I was wondering if there's any benefit to completing the open water part of the training abroad with a referral? I guess ultimately what I'm asking is if there's any real difference in whether or not I go for the referral, or will I be just as prepared either way, when I finally do book a trip? Of course, I'd start with easier and beginner-friendly options.

In addition to the advice (all good) in earlier replies, I'd add the following about equipment (in the order I'd purchase them):
- Mask snorkel fins - you don't want to be renting them because fit will often be a problem, and you do not want a leaky mask or fins that give you muscle cramps - or fall off...
- Dive computer - often possible to rent but in my opionion not a good idea since an unfamiliar display and user interface can take a lot of your attention during the dive, which can detract from your enjoyment or even be a safety issue.
- Wetsuit, BCD, regulator set can wait, but you may find that as you dive more you want your own: lots of rental gear is not in the greatest shape.

Also:
- Dive shop - after you've picked a destination check here on SB for trip reports, stories, recommendations for dive shop / instructor. A good instructor makes a big difference.
- Local vs warm water diving - Becoming a certified OW diver in warm water does NOT prepare you for cold water / drysuit diving. You'll need more training / course(s) for that, and what @rx7diver said.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that sure does help! What I take from here, in addition to @rx7diver 's comment is that I might want to look into doing the open water dive parts of the course locally, to also see if cold water diving is for me, since I already know I do want to dive in warmer seas?

Thank you all so far, all of this has been excellent information to go on! :)

So, I'm located in Finland, and I'm not exactly all that interested in diving around here - rather travel a couple of times a year somewhere south for that. However, it would be possible to take the PADI OW course here as well, of course, and I'd surely take something up occasionally here as well to keep progressing and learning more, even though my main goal is to dive elsewhere.
Go ahead and take the course at home - at least the book/classroom learning and pool work. You can do the check-out dives there or get a “referral,” and do the open water check-out dives at a tropical destination somewhere to finish your cert.

I guess my question here for starters is, how much gear do you need to acquire yourself in order to make the hobby feasible, and how much of it can usually just be rented?
You’re usually expected to own your own mask and fins. Everything else (wetsuit, BC, regulators, tanks, computer) can be rented. If you get certified and like it, consider buying a computer and possibly a wetsuit that fits you well if you need one.

And in the other hand - is it worth it in general to take the PADI course, or would it make sense to stick to discover scuba with the frequency being rather scarce at least in the beginning?
Take the open water course. There’s really no reason to do discover scuba unless you’re 1) not sure if you’d like it and want to try it first or 2) are doing it as a one-off novelty and never plan to dive.

Lastly, as far as I've understood, the PADI OW license allows you to go dive together with another certified diver
Yes - OW certifies you to dive without a “dive professional.” You can dive with any other buddy who is also certified.

- I don't have any friends that would be interested in tagging along for the journey, but I assume you can just book a trip through a dive shop, and they have experienced guides, groups, and all that so there's no need to worry?
It depends on your destination, and type of diving. If you book a tropical dive resort or liveaboard, they will typically provide in-water guides and some kind of buddy system. If you’re booking a boat dive in most tropical locations, it’s fine to arrive as a single diver and they will help you buddy up on the boat (ask first if you aren’t sure).

In most tropical destinations, it’s common to put a divemaster in the water to provide a guided dive. However, that is a regional norm and not the case everywhere - as a rule, cold water diving is less likely to provide guides, as is the US. Florida boat diving for instance is not like much of the Caribbean, and can have a more “we are just the taxi” vibe.

Shore dives often require you to show up with a buddy or hire a guide in advance through a local shop.

If you’re not sure, just ask the boat or shop you’re booking with. If a guide or buddy isn’t provided, you can usually hire a private guide with advance notice.

I'm in the US and have no info on local shops in your area. Once you find a local shop they will likely have a few shops in the Mediterranean, Adriatic, Agean, and Red seas that they refer their students to for the check out dives. It's fairly common for divers to be more interested in warm clear water especially when starting out.

In addition to the mask fins and snorkel, I would also recommend an entry level computer for the reasons stated. If you upgrade later you can use as back up, or back up gauge at a minimum.

It depends on your destination, and type of diving. If you book a tropical dive resort or liveaboard, they will typically provide in-water guides and some kind of buddy system. If you’re booking a boat dive in most tropical locations, it’s fine to arrive as a single diver and they will help you buddy up on the boat (ask first if you aren’t sure).

In most tropical destinations, it’s common to put a divemaster in the water to provide a guided dive. However, that is a regional norm and not the case everywhere - as a rule, cold water diving is less likely to provide guides, as is the US. Florida boat diving for instance is not like much of the Caribbean, and can have a more “we are just the taxi” vibe.

Shore dives often require you to show up with a buddy or hire a guide in advance through a local shop.

If you’re not sure, just ask the boat or shop you’re booking with. If a guide or buddy isn’t provided, you can usually hire a private guide with advance notice.

Cheers, that's very helpful and good to know. I'm sure for starters I'd go for some guided dives, and eventually get more comfortable in booking dives with another diver. And starting with locations in Europe - is the Mediterranean area any good for that generally speaking?

I'm in the US and have no info on local shops in your area. Once you find a local shop they will likely have a few shops in the Mediterranean, Adriatic, Agean, and Red seas that they refer their students to for the check out dives. It's fairly common for divers to be more interested in warm clear water especially when starting out.

In addition to the mask fins and snorkel, I would also recommend an entry level computer for the reasons stated. If you upgrade later you can use as back up, or back up gauge at a minimum.

Makes sense, I'll look into what the local shops have to offer. I've found a few that seem solid, but so far I haven't seen anything besides "you'll get a referral" - I might have to ask them directly if they have something like that available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom