Tips for Basics & Big Animal Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bplank

Reaction score
I have a 6MP Canon PowerShot with the standard housing and then a 4 AA battery side strobe on a flexible arm that fires off a fiber optic cable when the camera flash fires. I took thousands of shots with the same set up on a 4MP Canon a few years ago, but don't remember what my best manual seetings were for F stop and shutter, does anybody have any base reccommendations to start with? The camera has a dive setting on it, but I'm skeptical about it.

Also, I'm going to be on the Solmar V out of Cabo San Lucas in a week and will be mostly shooting (hopefully) a lot of big animals like mantas, dolphins, seals, hammerheads, and other sharks. Should I be using different settings for those kinds of shots? I seem to recall that unless you are within 5 feet or so the strobe doesn't have any effect (other than potential backscatter) even at its highest power level. Is that right? Any tips for that classic silhouette shot with mantas or hammerheads above you?

Any thoughts would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Welcome to Scubaboard.

A agree that manually setting the white balance will work much better and really make your pictures look better.

Have fun.

Forget the flash - manual white balance will give you great results. Get a good white photo slate. You may wish to invest in an Inon Wide Angle w/ AD connector for your digicam - wonderous equipment for $300.

Get a wide angle and set manual white balance with the sand.

Good ideas. I wish I had read this before Galapagos.

Nice post, I use a Canon PowerShot. Always worked well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom