Tips and tricks from the old timers(?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I jumped in once, without my reg in my mouth. I realized it right after I did a giant stride off the back of the boat. That's an awful feeling, knowing you can't stop gravity and simply step back onto the boat.

Gary D.:
Here goes with unpacking the car. It’s easier this way. Packing is just in reverse with first in last out.

I open the left rear door. Take my jacket, float coat, rain gear and throw them on the car roof.

Now I’m looking at my dry suit, which is folded sort of like an accordion with the zipper open and up. I see my suspenders with two wire ties on them. Red for my right hand and a white one for my left.

If I need my underwear it’s directly under the suit and I can get it without moving the suits position. In most rescue modes underwear isn’t used or an issue.

I grab the two wire or Zip ties and spin 180 degrees so my back is towards the car. The suit has just unfolded and I step into it. Tighten up the Velcro ankle straps then slip the rest of the way into the suit and zip the inner zipper only at this point. The second outer zipper can wait, it’s just a protector.

Grab my top gear bag and toss it onto the trunk.

Undo the seatbelt that holds both tanks in position. I also undo the rubber bunge that holds my main tank extra tight. Pull out the spare tank and drop it at the left rear tire.
Pull my weight belt off the floor and step into it.

Pull out the main assembly, again spin 180 degrees, stick my hands through the BC and throw it over my head. While it’s on my head the air is turned on and then I drop it onto place. Hook up my dry suit hose and my belly buckle only.

Hood, dry gloves, lights and fins are in the first gear bag I tossed onto the trunk.

This is the only time I allow anyone to help. If I have a way to go I will let someone carry the gear bag. If not my dry gloves with liners go on, my light goes over my left wrist and I’ll grab my hood and fins.

Once I have those two I’m ready to get wet. Normally under three minutes. If there is a delay for some reason I will use that time to hook up the other two BC straps and make some minor adjustments. If there isn't a delay I could care less how many straps are hooked as long as one makes it.

There is a tool box with tools and spare parts on the floor next to two of my three weight belts. Any other search goodies are divided between the lower gear bag that is directly on the car seat under everything else.

The rest is in the trunk along with a helmet, PFD, 75’ throw rope, a 300’ and 200’ search lines plus “H” floats, more smaller lines. All total I carry roughly 800’ of rope on board.

There is a bunch more but that’s the basics to get us going.

Gary D.

That is SOOOO complicated! I think I will give up diving!!

Jcsgt:
I jumped in once, without my reg in my mouth. I realized it right after I did a giant stride off the back of the boat. That's an awful feeling, knowing you can't stop gravity and simply step back onto the boat.

Hey! How is Eugene these days?? I lived there for about the first six months or so I attempted college..

Dean810:
That is SOOOO complicated! I think I will give up diving!!
What's complicated about it? Quick and simple. :wink:

Gary D.

Eugene's the same as it has been for years. The weather has actually been decent, but believe it or not, it's supposed to rain for the next week or so!

Oh, if you're from Portland, than the amount of rain we get down here isn't that remarkable LOL!

Gary D.:
Pull my weight belt off the floor and step into it.

Pull out the main assembly, again spin 180 degrees, stick my hands through the BC and throw it over my head. While it’s on my head the air is turned on and then I drop it onto place. Hook up my dry suit hose and my belly buckle only..

Gary D.

Couple things I don't understand.

Does this mean your weight belt is restricted by your BC? That is, rec diving says to put the weight belt on last and take it off first. It sounds like the lower part of the BC would prevent an easy remove of just the weight belt. On the other hand it sounds like the BC would hold the weight belt in place and prevent the weights from slipping down to your knees. Not that *I* have ever had that happen, of course! It also sounds like this would make it easier to doff and don the BC underwater.

Second, how the heck do you hold the BC on your head; isn't it already attached to the tank? Does this mean I have to start doing neck exercises?

ciao!

leam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom