Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate America because of the tipping culture.

If a guided boat dive is £45 a dive £45 is what they are getting. If they want me to tip for the staff then charge £50. I am already paying for a service why should I be expected to pay more
Same with food and everything. Yes I will give a small tip 5% - 10% with a nice evening meal with drinks but that is it but that is only If it is exceptional I will not tip average.

I hate America because of the tipping culture.

If a guided boat dive is £45 a dive £45 is what they are getting. If they want me to tip for the staff then charge £50. I am already paying for a service why should I be expected to pay more
Same with food and everything. Yes I will give a small tip 5% - 10% with a nice evening meal with drinks but that is it but that is only If it is exceptional I will not tip average.
Waiters (servers) in the US are paid $2.13/hr, with a guarantee that they must earn a total of $7.25/hr with tips. So basically, that's what they're earning for any time spent serving you. I only wish that I could distribute your photo to every server in the country so that they could know to give you the most minimal service possible if they should be so unlucky as to get you as a "guest".

Maybe you should consider the culture and systems of the place you're visiting.

Last edited:
Waiters (servers) in the US are paid $2.13/hr, with a guarantee that they must earn a total of $7.25/hr with tips. So basically, that's what they're earning ($2.13/hr) for any time spent serving you. I only wish that I could distribute your photo to every server in the country so that they could know to give you the most minimal service possible if they should be so unlucky as to get you as a "guest".

When in America I do tip but grundingly. I will tip following the standard for that country.
While I do not agree I understand that US waiters are paid a **** wage and is made up through tips.
It is a reason I will go to alot of other countries before selecting the USA.

Waiters (servers) in the US are paid $2.13/hr, with a guarantee that they must earn a total of $7.25/hr with tips. So basically, that's what they're earning for any time spent serving you. I only wish that I could distribute your photo to every server in the country so that they could know to give you the most minimal service possible if they should be so unlucky as to get you as a "guest".

Also I am not a guest. I am a paying customer

When in America I do tip but grundingly. I will tip following the standard for that country.
While I do not agree I understand that US waiters are paid a **** wage and is made up through tips.
It is a reason I will go to alot of other countries before selecting the USA.
Imagine my despair at the thought that our custom will keep you from visiting.

Imagine my despair at the thought that our custom will keep you from visiting.
:)
To late been 4 times and spent 12 weeks. The places I have been were amazing but the constant threat of 'do i need to tip this person how much do I need to tip. Is sales tax included is this the price I actually have to pay' means I don't ultimately enjoy the holiday stressing myself out on have I upset someone by not tipping.

:)
To late been 4 times and spent 12 weeks. The places I have been were amazing but the constant threat of 'do i need to tip this person how much do I need to tip. Is sales tax included is this the price I actually have to pay' means I don't ultimately enjoy the holiday stressing myself out on have I upset someone by not tipping.
I'll explain this to my server friends and hope that they will eventually heal from the disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom