tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

five bucks usually make them happy on a two tank dive... a little more if the service warrants it.

Yep - generally tip $5 per tank & usually at the end of the trip. Service over & above is compensated as well. Couple recent examples included the free-diving crew member who jumped in & saved a $100 mask as it was rapidly sinking & later brought me a cold water, cleaned the side of the boat & kept pouring cool sea water over my head as I was 'chumming' my breakfast in heavy seas.

I also dropped off a couple cases of beer for the shop at large. I had noticed the staff often kept a couple cold ones on hand for consumption (after diving) while they cleaned up boat & gear.

What is typically done in instances where the shop owner may serve double duty as DM or boat crew? Is tipping the owner in this case appropriate as well?

If you are leading a group and not tipping until the end of the trip it is a must to let the dive operator/boat crew know that you will be tipping all at once at the end. Usually on a group trip you have the same boat and crew each day so its not a problem. If you don't you can simply keep track of who's who and the boat each day and let the office know so they can divvy up the tips accordingly or set them up in different envelopes if you choose.

In the case of an individule diving alone you may consider tipping each day. usually as an individule you won't get the same boat / crew so its easier. I seldom travel without a group.

As for setting the standard of service from the first day with a big tip... I usually use personality rather than $ I have found that if the crew likes you for reasons other than $'s you usually get better service anyway.

Kevin Parkhurst

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom