Tipping the boat crew - conventions around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never tipped at home in Canada. I asked an instructor about it once and was told that "the shop pays us well enough that we don't need tips". I brought us both lunch anyway.

In Mexico I tip 50 pesos to the boat crew and another 50 pesos to the DM for a two tank dive. I always tip in local currency. From what I have seen in Mexico I think only about 10% of the divers tip.

So what exactly is above & beyond normal service. Most mates on dive boats doing normal service is more than most know. Keeping the boat clean & organized, helping with customers,getting anchor ready & hooking wreck,tying into wrecks,(we don't have mooring balls in the Mid Atlantic) then coming back to give a condition briefing of the site. Then helping get everyone off boat safely. We have a compressor on board so we normally fill tanks in between dives.
Then of course I get to go untie from wreck.
So no tip for any of this? Like I said this is normal service.

Most of our customers are excellent tippers, they realize what we do & how easy we make it on them.
Ever see a mate jump with an anchor to tie in to a wreck at a certain spot to keep the swimming & wasting of bottom time to a minimum.

On liveaboards in Egypt (when we've taken a whole boat for a week) there's always been a collection at the end of the week and most would put bit 30-40USD (so maybe 600/800 between a crew of a 10) as the crew would pretty much do everything but the diving for you if you let them! Day dives, maybe $10 each into a tip jar wherever we are if the service is good, though the only time it's ever been publicly asked for (hinted at more so) is by then DM on behalf of the crew.

My wife and I usually dive together on 2 tank dives, I have always had good service from the captain and crew, I have always tipped $20 to the captain, this has been in Florida, Belize, Bonaire and Curacao.

QUOTE=Storker;6588929]After reading Herb-alaska's Open letter to boat dive masters I started wondering about different tipping practices around the world. Coming from a basically non-tipping (except some minor tipping in restaurants) culture in Scandinavia, I still have problems adapting to the extensive tipping expected from a customer in e.g. the US, particularly WRT the "correct" size of a tip in a given situation

I'd appreciate if people could chime in with their opinions/experiences regarding tipping DMs, guides and boat captains in their part of the world, so I don't make a fool of myself if I'm diving abroad. I'm particularly interested in practice in the US and Europe, but tipping practices in other parts of the world would also be interesting.

I'll start:
Nationality: Norwegian
Dive site country: Norway
Tipping: I don't tip the DM or the boat captain.

PS: If this post is in the wrong subforum, I apologize in advance :)[/QUOTE]

When we went with our dive group they collected $5.00 per person. When we go alone we tip $20 for me and my wife. This is in Florida.

I tip to be left alone. Boats I dive ask if I need anything, (usually no), and they leave me alone, both on the boat and in the water. If they do this well it's $20+ a day.
Later,
John

My wife and I went Whale Shark Diving at Gladden Spit in Belize this past June. On the 2 days we were out our boat had the only Whale Shark sightings out of 6 boats that were out. We tipped the crew $20 each on both days. Well worth it!

Personaly it depends on the service. I tip for good dives not to get good dives. I often bring down fishing gear for the captain of the boat... and when in less fortunate countries bring down stationary (pens, paper, calculator, etc) for the dive club. I usually tip at the end of the week. amount varies based on fun I had.

In the Philippines, usually tip around $10 for DM for two-tank dive and $10 for boat crew. But only for local DMs. Very few shops with foreign DMs and in that case you just buy them a beer
icosm14.gif
Same in Thailand.

Also, like elan said, tipping is usually done quietly - just slipped into their hands. So you never know if other people are tipping or not.

I live and work in Thailand, and despite what Jam Jam said above, it's not nice to tip only the local dive staff and buy a beer for the foreign ones. There's no real difference in wages for foreign versus local dive staff, and the foreign ones have more expenses when visa, work permit, and income tax costs are factored in (minimum tax is calculated by nationality, believe it or not). What happens here is that there's typically a tip box for the boat crew, and they divide up whatever is put in there equally. This means that workers you might not see or be able to tip directly, like the galley assistant, get a share. This tip box is only for the boat crew--captain, engineer, deck hands, galley hands--and not for the dive staff. Typically, you would have the same dive staff member working with you throughout your trip, and should you wish to offer a tip, you would hand it to him/her directly and individually.

In Australia I have never seen anyone tip the boat crew. It just doesn't happen. I always make a point of saying thank you to the crew, and if they have been especially helpful I will let them know it is appreciated.

I have never really understood the culture of tipping. Why should boat crew rely on customers generosity to earn enough to survive? It's their bosses responsibility to pay them a decent wage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
In practical terms what we see here in regard to tipping is that it depends on the customer's nationality. Some nationalities tip, and others don't. Australians, for example, are famous non-tippers, and the most common justification is the one ferris gives above. Other nationalities do tip, so there's almost always something in the tip jar to divide up. As a result, nobody in Thailand expects a tip from any given diver, and the system of tipping by putting whatever you like in the tip box as you walk past and handing a tip discretely to your dive leader makes it easy for whoever wants not to tip to avoid showing themselves as tight-fisted. On the other hand, everyone appreciates getting tips, and if there are no tips at all in the tip box, they wonder what they did wrong to deserve such a put-down.

I will say, in addition, that I've heard lots and lots of Aussies complain that Thailand is getting 'too expensive' for them, practically in the same breath that they say they won't tip because they think people should be paid a living wage. So with minimum wages going up in Thailand to guarantee something closer to a living wage that isn't simply at poverty level, prices are also going up, and guess what? We hear that Thailand is getting 'too expensive'. You can't have it both ways--a cheap diving destination means that people are paid very little, and yes, even foreigners are paid virtual slave wages. So when I go to Australia, I keep in mind that the expensive prices I pay there support decent earnings for those who are providing services and give no tips, but when I travel for leisure to other places, I keep in mind the local labour practices and budget to allow for tipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom