Tipping the boat crew - conventions around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is probably why you do not see it happening . Some people tip but do not show it.

They may not openly show it, but it's not difficult to tell when somebody is tipping the crew no matter how secretive they want to be about it. Unless they are hiding it in the head and telling the crew where to find it after they leave, there is usually a physical transfer hand to hand of a tip no matter if it's palmed secretly with a wink or not, it's pretty obvious what's happening if you're looking for it. When the tip jar is empty and you watch 10 or 20 divers walk off the boat with gear in both hands and the only touching is the crew steadying them as they go over the gun wail, there ain't no tipping going on.

If you really want to find out, just ask the crew about tipping, if you've created any sort of semi-amicable relationship with them, they will freely explain the realities of the economics of the dive industry with you. Nobody is getting rich in the dive industry.

It is sometimes difficult to see someone tip the crew unless you are being extremely vigilant. I usually wait until the very end of the day's diving and then slip the tip into the DM's hand as I exit the boat. I have seen people who make it pretty obvious when they tip, but most people are pretty discreet.

I usually tipped $5 a tank for me. But when I was diving boats at that time my late wife was always along and she was in a wheelchair and just bubble watching. Every boat we were one always seemed to go out of their way to make it nice for her. That upped the tip considerably every time. Most often doubled it. When we went with Amy Slate's the first time for a week the daily tips got augmented by a nice one at the end of the week to certain crew who went above and beyond. Same with Conch Republic. I have always been a person who believes in tipping for service above and beyond.

I worked as a busboy/room service monkey in high school. When min wage was something like 2.15 an hour. Many times on weekends I made more in tips in one day running breakfasts to hungover people who were at the hotel with someone other than their spouse than I did in a week of part time wages. More than once a $12.00 breakfast bill and keeping my mouth and eyes shut got me handed a fifty with a "keep the change".

I also know that many places where tips are part of the wages make the employees kick back a portion to mgmt or share them with less deserving people who never even waited on me. Those people get a thank you handshake with a bill rolled up an passed in addition to the token tip that everyone can see on the table.

In California, most boats I've been on have a tip jar for the crew. You just slip a twenty in the fishbowl at the end of the day and the captain and crew split it up as the see fit. I think the convention is 20% of the charter fee, at least thats what I've seen.

Outside of Canada I always tip the dm and the crew. Usually 10$ to the dm and 5$ to the crew. So typically 20$ for a two dive day. I agree that many people do not tip. They may do it discretely also as that is how I typically do it also.

I Canada on a technical charter there is usually only a captain on the boats I have been on. I usually give the captain $20.

Stano

LOL, I told you in that thread that I tipped $5 a tank on my Florida Keys dives and never saw a single other diver give a tip out of probably 200 dives while I was there. Sounds like you had the identical experience.
Conclusion - everybody on scubaboard tips, but obviously nobody on scubaboard actually ends up on any dive boats you will ever be on.
laughing1.gif

In the US, Mexico, Caribbean I tip $5.00 a tank and don't worry about it.

I know everybody on scubaboard tips $10, $20, or $50 a tank, but until I actually witness a dive boat where more than 10% of the divers on board actually are giving any tip at all, my $5.00 a tank seems to be warmly received.

I'm pretty sure if 100% of the divers on a boat tipped $2.00 a tank the crew would be jumping for joy.

Talk is cheap and so are all the divers I was with on that trip, none of whom I had ever meet before. Probable the best way to get a real answer would be to limit it to charter boat crews.

I am the loud mouthed guy that makes delivering the tip public. I am simply trying to remind others on the boat that it is time to pay up and show appreciation for the job the DM and Crew did. I guess if I ever get to Australia or those other "no tip" places I will probably still tip for a job well done. Of course all of the places I have been there a DM or a Guide are generally in the water with us, but not always have I been required to follow them. I figure if they want a tip, they should at least get wet or drive the boat to deserve one.

I usually tip $20/2 tank charter. It's what the people on the boat do for a living, so I try to help them out.

Kristopher

To summarize so far, the consensus is roughly:

• Destinations in or close to the US: 5-10$/tank or 10-20$/day
  • Europe: No tips expected, but in some places a small tip will be appreciated. However, no risk of stinkeye if you "stiff" the crew
  • Other places: Insufficient data

Amirite?

Back
Top Bottom