Tipping on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many professions which are underpaid but require expensive equipment, skills, etc. For example, professional photographers who are using expensive equipment, spend time on various courses, however, their services are poorly paid. What is funny that almost all divemasters or dive instructors told me that they are working "not for money" but because they like such life style, like diving. I also know one very rich venture capitalist who took year off and was working as dive instructor.
That's the truth. The diving lifestyle can be fun, so many people do it for that reason. Same thing with musicians--except the multi-millionaire rock stars. People think you shouldn't get paid much because you're doing a "fun" job. Isn't everyone supposed to be happy with their job/career? That's the vibe I got when I was in high school and attending those "career day" things.

For example, professional photographers who are using expensive equipment, spend time on various courses, however, their services are poorly paid.

:happywave:

Whenever I feel concerned about spending money on diving, I simply look back at how much I've spent on photography to make a career out of it :D

I spent fortune on my photography equipment, however, this is a hobby for me. Accordingly, I can make photoshootings for free and I am still ok :D

I think its geographical, as @Germie mentioned. In the UK, it's not 'normal' to pay a tip on a UK boat charter.
But it should also be pointed out that it would be exceptional to have a DM on the boat (unless you brought your own). The majority of boats don't have 'crew', just the skipper. The exception to that is normally liveaboards. The crew (normally one), is also the chef!

I did a bit of DM'ing for a local dive shop, way back. But I wasn't really guiding, just making sure all went smoothly with the charter. Basically what I call Dive Managing (or Marshalling), which we do on all our charters within my club anyway.

In fact, for those visiting the UK and diving. If you are expecting a DM I would strongly suggest you confirm there is one if you need/want the assistance of a DM.

I did the first several dives off a boat not realizing that tipping was a custom. I was used to tipping the waitress or the pizza delivery guy but was unaware that dive masters but were unpaid.

If I'm on a boat and I utilize their services or they make a dive much more enjoyable then I'll tip $20. if they're leading a different group and I'm doing my own thing or don't really use them then I don't tip anything because that's what I would expect.

Never heard of it. That would be a lot of tips if all passengers did. Of course, not that many order alcoholic drinks and the idea of non-pay meals went out with the dinosaurs. I would believe that it is a way for the airline to cut back on salaries. they have been known the last decade or more to figure out a way or two to make extra bucks. Remember the free pillows and newspapers (I know, no one reads those things anymore)? And on one of our 2 major airline in Canada the TV screens are gone. On and on it goes....

so we will file this one under 'we aren't going to pay our staff properly, so we want you to tip them instead'

Screw it, I want to be tipped. I'm going to start a movement...'Canadians generally expect to be tipped for showing up'. If we do it for long enough and really commit to it, it will just become commonplace.. people will start chat topics entitled 'what's the deal with Canadian guests expecting to be tipped for showing up?' and i will respond ( under a variety of different profiles) that it's just a cultural thing and 10-15% is usually acceptable :).... as well as the standard 'all tips are appreciated' ...no sh1t they are appreciated! ....i would appreciate it if someone gave me a grand in cash for diving with them for a week in the pacific! :):):)

“Management moved forward with a tipping option for passengers in hopes it would dissuade flight attendants from standing together for a fair contract — and in an effort to shift additional costs to passengers,” the Tribune quoted AFA President Sara Nelson as stating.

This says it all, i still have never managed to get anyone on this board to respond to questions surrounding how much DM's make in any geographical area and what a fair wage would be etc :) THEY DON'T WANT TO DERAIL THE GRAVY TRAIN! :yeahbaby::rain:

Pay DMs a fair wage and end the tipping debacle!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom