Tipping Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem is, "that particular circumstance" includes every frikkin' single interaction with service personnel. Which happens several times per day, in a bunch of different "particular circumstances". It's a frikkin' minefield where someone who hasn't learned by immersion since before they started making their own money is bound to get blown up multiple times. . . .

I hear ya, man. My in-laws are Belgian, and they have voiced the same exasperation I hear from you. There are some situations where you would not know in advance to even ask someone whether you are expected to leave a tip. Fortunately, if you commit a tipping faux pas, you will not be subject to flogging. Make sure you speak with your best Norwegian accent, and 9 times out of 10 you will be forgiven as a clueless foreigner. The tenth guy is probably a New York City taxi driver, who WILL yell at you.

Fortunately for me, I don't stay in hotels that are fancy enough to have bellboys or a cleaning lady who expects a tip.

FWIW, Some years ago I actually insulted a pizza delivery guy in Oz by offering a tip..:rofl3: And I'm not even American!

Fortunately for me, I don't stay in hotels that are fancy enough to have bellboys or a cleaning lady who expects a tip.

There you go. How fancy does a hotel have to be before you're expected to tip the cleaning lady?

Gawd.

There you go. How fancy does a hotel have to be before you're expected to tip the cleaning lady?

Gawd.

We're getting a little far afield of diving, but as far as I'm concerned, if there is no little envelope on the dresser for a tip for the cleaning lady, then it is not that kind of hotel. If the staff doesn't turn down my sheets in the evening, it is not that kind of hotel. If they don't leave a candy on my pillow, it is not that kind of hotel. Motels by the side of the highway--no way. I can't remember the last time I left a tip for hotel staff--many years ago, probably when my employer was paying for the hotel.

I get your point. I have no more to say.

When I was a kid at a motel by the road I followed my mom's instructions and put a grasshopper in that tip envelope.

Gawd.

There's your problem. There is no minimum, cleaning people are some of the lowest paid workers at any hotel, the cheaper the hotel the more a couple of bucks is going to mean to that worker.

While norweigians seem to think American's are douche bags who go throwing money around to ruin it for those who want to spend the least amount possible. The reality is we don't look at "How fancy does a hotel have to be before you're expected to tip the cleaning lady?" we look at the person doing the service and want to show appreciation for someone who likely is making the least, working the hardest and is the least appreciated. Have you ever taken the time to talk to a hotel maid? They are good people, hard workers, usually mothers raising children. Many of these workers are below the poverty level and we are really worried whether you should leave a few bucks for them?

We will easily spend $2000 on a cramped 30" space on an airplane to get to our vacation destination and some are appalled to give a couple of bucks to those making their vacation what it is. Kind of sad. You ain't taking it with you folks, spread a little joy on this planet while you can.

There's your problem. There is no minimum, cleaning people are some of the lowest paid workers at any hotel, the cheaper the hotel the more a couple of bucks is going to mean to that worker.

While norweigians seem to think American's are douche bags who go throwing money around to ruin it for those who want to spend the least amount possible. The reality is we don't look at "How fancy does a hotel have to be before you're expected to tip the cleaning lady?" we look at the person doing the service and want to show appreciation for someone who likely is making the least, working the hardest and is the least appreciated. Have you ever taken the time to talk to a hotel maid? They are good people, hard workers, usually mothers raising children. Many of these workers are below the poverty level and we are really worried whether you should leave a few bucks for them?

We will easily spend $2000 on a cramped 30" space on an airplane to get to our vacation destination and some are appalled to give a couple of bucks to those making their vacation what it is. Kind of sad. You ain't taking it with you folks, spread a little joy on this planet while you can.

Hi triplembelows,

Your point is perfect.

It is cool to do the "When in Rome, do as the Romers do." However, when somebody does a good job, I have gladly left an "American" sized tip. Whether it is Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Caribbean, Moorea, Canada, or any other place I have been--I have and will continue to give a decent tip to a person who has worked for it.

The tip makes the hard working person feel appreciated, and it makes me feel good. It is my money; I will do with it as I please.

If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the trip!

$10 a tank seems to be the going rate. The DMs and boat crew have appreciated that amount.

markm

tip as is appropriate.

when i eat in a cafeteria, no one gets a tip.

on our last trip we did a few boat dives. cafeteria style. i lugged all my gear, scrambled to fond 2 spots on the boat, set it up, had to search for a full tank more than once, dove with my buddy. i got no personal service. no reason to tip.

on a liveaboard we tip like we were affluent american's as we get lots of personal service.

So, I got the impression from another tipper that there was a difference. Now you say there isn't. Like I said, minefield.

norweigians seem to think American's are douche bags who go throwing money around to ruin it for those who want to spend the least amount possible.
They do? That was news to me. Cite, please.
Or are you by any chance engaging in a tiny bit of strawmanning there?

Back
Top Bottom