Tipping dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tip massively. DMs don't make a lot and should be compensated when you can.
Maybe I should preface this by stating that I, too, am a DM. My main focus is helping with classes, though, rather than travel and leading dives on vacation, etc. At least at this point.

Maybe I should preface this by stating that I, too, am a DM. My main focus is helping with classes, though, rather than travel and leading dives on vacation, etc. At least at this point.
I only assisted as well and my only tip ever was one beer. I guess assisting isn't as hard as doing charters.....?

I actually made $190 my last class.....not too shabby.
When I was assisting OW I made $300 CAD per course, but that was pay-- no tips.

But where do you split from being 'British' and tip for service over and above expected and being American where the 'compulsory' tip is actually the second payment on the dive shop boat fee.. Add $20 to the boat fee and pay the crew properly to start and then tip when they do something special.

But where do you split from being 'British' and tip for service over and above expected and being American where the 'compulsory' tip is actually the second payment on the dive shop boat fee.. Add $20 to the boat fee and pay the crew properly to start and then tip when they do something special.

It should be based on where we are and we should follow local custom.

...What if you're diving cenotes/caves? Me personally I'll probably tip just as I would diving from a boat. But it would seem that there's maybe a little less work involved for the DM. I haven't done any cenote dives as of yet but do have a trip coming up in about 3 weeks and this would just be something nice to know. Any cenote/cavern/cave divers please feel free to weigh in.

Would like to hear more comments. I usually tip $25 for the day whether it is one or two dives.
occasionally, I will also buy a few beverages post dive. Usually we do two dives at the same site and I will make one (stage) dive on the last day. We both load and unload gear and tanks in the truck at the dive shop and the dive site. The guide provides the transportation which could be 10 to 45 minutes to the site from the shop. I have no idea what the arrangement between the shop and the guide is. Any additional direction/comments/thoughts regarding cenote guides would be helpful.

Back when i was teaching around the Yucatan, one of the final things I used to cover with students (extra emphasis for the Euro divers!), was the importance of tipping the boat crews.
I would bring up their usual objections, (that "tipping wasn't customary back in Germany", or where-ever), then I would point out that this isn't Germany (where the same $55 dive would've cost them $200!), that this is the 3rd world, and these boat crews are trying to support families on very little money, and tipping is customary in much of the world, and in much of the dive business, so they're expected to follow suit, (unless, of course, the crew somehow screws the pooch and gives them good reason not to).
These crews generally work their butts off, quickly switching your gear, bringing you drinks, fixing your malfunctioning reg or busted mask strap, dropping extra weights in your BC pocket (because your tubby ass insisted you only needed 12 pounds!), and generally catering to all sorts of picky,unreasonable expectations, etc.etc., and they do it all, in the hope of getting tipped........so don't be a dick and stiff them !!!!!
Another thing i would point out, is to NOT just hand money to one of the crew, and assume he was going to be fair and split it with the other guy(s). If you hand money to the DM or captain, get the attention of the other guy, so he sees the tip taking place, and make it clear that it's for everyone. I've seen the first guy to get his hands on the tip, stash it quick, and never mention it to anyone else (in fact, that was the norm rather than the exception).
It's also nice if you tip openly and audibly in front of the other divers, which puts them on the spot, encouraging them to tip, as well !!!! :D
Your boat crew will absolutely love you for it, and they'll remember it !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom