Tip cup in a SHOE STORE!?!?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tipping should only come after a service has been performed that is exemplary (sp) service, personally we'd all be better off if there was no tipping.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:boom:

Are you guys aware that wiaters and waitresses make $2.10 per hour? That is well below the minimum wage. This is legal because it is assumed that these employees will make up at least the difference between their hourly wage and the minimum wage in tips. Busboys and bartenders are compensated similarly. Because of this pay scale, gratuities are expected by this type of service employee. If you fail to tip a waitress, don't be supprised if she spits in your omelette the next time she serves you.

I almost always tip service employees generously because I know that they are not paid a decent living wage by their employer. The only exception is a case where I am treated badly by a waiter. When this happens I withold the tip, but I also make a point of communicating the reason to the restaurant manager so the waiter understands exactly why he is not getting a tip. Then I make a point of staying away from that restaurant long enough for the staff to turn over. (See the last line of paragraph 1.)

Restaurant managers, on the other hand, are compensated well about the legal minimum wage. In fact, in some establishments, these individuals are not allowed to accept gratuities. I don't see any reason to tip them, unless it is necessary to offer a bribe to get a table.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Are you guys aware that wiaters and waitresses make $2.10 per hour? That is well below the minimum wage. This is legal because it is assumed that these employees will make up at least the difference between their hourly wage and the minimum wage in tips. Busboys and bartenders are compensated similarly. Because of this pay scale, gratuities are expected by this type of service employee. If you fail to tip a waitress, don't be supprised if she spits in your omelette the next time she serves you.

Yes, I'm aware of it. I also feel that it isn't my responsibility to make up the difference. If waiters/waitresses/ busboys/bartenders, etc. want more money they need to change jobs and or careers, just like many of us do and have done in the past.

Spitting in the food of repeat customers who don't tip the expected amount sure accomplishes alot, doesn't it? It may make that person feel vindicated but in reality just proves that person has no business in that job.

I'm not saying I never tip, I do it all the time and gladly. But I tip for good and extroidinary service, not just because it's expected. I don't return to business who hire wait staff who simple bring your food and drinks to the table then only return to bring your bill. For that they deserve $2.10 or less an hour!

So the old 'poor little underpaid wait staff' argument doesn't work for me.

I agree with those who say that the prices should reflect the real cost of running the business, including the cost of fairly paying the staff. If the shop just wants to attract customers in with "competitve" prices & expects us to subsidize wages with charity, are they really competitive? If they are "saving" by not offering proper access to benefits, is it a real savings to us if the working poor have to get tax-subsidized medical care? We are all dazzled by low prices, but are we really getting low costs?

For interests sake, how much would a main course dish cost at a restaurant? Tipping is very uncommon here in NZ and I was wondering whether or not the below minimum wage being paid to waiting staff is reflected in the menu. Something like a steak would cost me ~NZ$30 - NZ$40.

If you're feed up with tipping visit over here. We only tip in restuarents and only small amounts - say a dollar or two unless theres something really, really exceptionel. Even the taxis are no tipping if you don't like it. They even advertise in the car that tipping has already been included in the price!

If the waiter/waitress is friendly and doesn't take forever serving me (I make exceptions if there are a lot of people in the place), then I tip well. I usually tip more than people say I should.
I was at a resturant in Orlando one afternoon and there was only one other person in there. It took forever to get service and took 20 minutes to get my check! Needless to say, I didn't tip.
But that's a rare occasion.
And I don't tip unless I got a service. Going to the back of the store room to get me the pair of And 1 basketball shoes I want does not count as a service. They get paid, even paid beyond minimum wage.
When it comes to the needy or homeless, I've always had a soft heart. That is untill I was in D.C. on a class field trip in the 5th grade, (went from fla to dc on a bus..so cool) I gave a bum some money, not even an hour later I saw the same bum come out of a liquore store. It was a total mind blower at that age to see people
like that. So if a homless person asks for money for food now. I buy them food, not give them money.

I'd expect to pay about US$14 - US$20 for a good steak in this area, and with the current exchange at .47 that works out to being about even. I've paid both more and less, but that isn't unusual.

I spent some time in Auckland, with a friend who was a bartender/manager at Copper Joe's in Manakau (or was it Manurewa?), and she told me that the pay worked out to being less than she was making working as a hostess at the Hard Rock Cafe in Boston. I don't know that you can really draw a conclusion from that though... the jobs and areas are quite different.

I found your beer to be quite a bit cheaper than I'm used to though (I won't comment on the taste), as I'll routinely pay US$4 for a pint. At the time, the exchange was .41, so I was more than happy to buy rounds by the jug and tip well.

MerKiwi once bubbled...
For interests sake, how much would a main course dish cost at a restaurant? Tipping is very uncommon here in NZ and I was wondering whether or not the below minimum wage being paid to waiting staff is reflected in the menu. Something like a steak would cost me ~NZ$30 - NZ$40.

Me too... for a while, I was in the habit of carrying a package of cookies, which I'd offer to anyone claiming to need money for food. For the most part, they turned me down, and got agitiated when I'd loudly inquire why they needed money for food but not the food itself.

I had one guy accept a slice of pizza though, and was happy to hook him up with a good meal. I got a very interesting lesson about UFO's out of the bargain. :)

jepuskar once bubbled...
lives in a city or works in a city then they will understand. On several occasions I have been asked for money for food and then I say...lets go over the McDonalds or whatever is closest and I'll buy you something...I get turned down every time!

I will tip 20% for good service, 15% for most any service and I leave a penny for really bad service (if you don't leave anything people might think you forgot)

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom