Tip ... Absorbant in Camera Housing to avoid mini flood.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yasser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using this for quite a while and it is working GREAT so I thought of sharing this.:)
I found that the most expensive housing like Tetra housings contain a lining of an absorbant mateial so that the camera can survive a mini flood as they calimed.:confused:

I am using OLY with OLY housing. I fill the sapce between the camera and the Housing with strips of Kitchen absorbant towles.
I carefully cut the towel intro trips fitting exactly in the cavity.

This absobant kitchen towel is very thin when dry and it absors water VERY well and holds the water. It will absob any drops of water entering you housing during testing or any drop accidently left in the housing before closing it. It can also help in reducing fogging inside the housing.
These towels are avilable from 3M.

PLEASE Make sure that you don't obstruct the secure closing of your housing.
:no
Don't blame me ..... :)

You can also use the stuff from babies nappies, or ladies sanitary pads, that hold liquid in a gel form.

hmmmmm that is a thought Kim... I will see if they fit... Now what will the lady at the cashier say when I buy them...:wink:

Wolverine:
hmmmmm that is a thought Kim... I will see if they fit... Now what will the lady at the cashier say when I buy them...:wink:
I cut them up and tape them into smaller packages which will fit. :eyebrow:
If you are too scared to ask for the ladies ones, babies nappies (the very modern ones) have the same stuff in them.

great idea. thanks.

The sanitary pads/panty shields are better than paper towels etc because they don't shed fibres AND they have sticky stuff that lets you position them wherever you want and it will stay. An oldie but a goodie trick :wink:

Now my housing can have wings!

Seriously, though. Is the pad/shield better than the tampon that I see some folks taping into the corner of their housing? I never worried about it with my C-5060, but I think I'll take more precautions with my new D-80.

My D-80 Ike housing is due this week!!!

David

Congrats on the new toy :)

Either will work. I don't routinely use anything, but my preference when I do is the pad/shield as I can spread it out along the bottom of the housing (or wherever) and then no matter where the moisture gets in I have a better chance of it getting there. Having "protection" just in the corner seems a bit risky to me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom