Tioman and Redang best months to visit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachild

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to make a dive trip to Tiomen or Redang. Van anyone recommend what are the best months for diving these islands? Any resort recommendations also appreciated.
Many Thanks
Adam

I was on Tioman in April. I stayed at Bamboo Hill Chalets which was amazing. It's not the cheapest place (still pretty cheap), but really nice. You need to book early.

The diving conditions were pretty good. Late March and April are supposed to have some of the best visability. I logged 17 dives and only 1 had bad conditions (Sawadee Wreck; could not see more than a couple meters). I'd say the average was 15 meters.

I dove with Eco. They were great. But the boat was really slow. I think they were fixing their regular one; so hopefully that has been taken care of.

The diving is good, but don't expect too much. Renngis always had black tips and cutle fish. The marine park had a cool spotted eel. But the best spots are further away at/around Chebeh.

Tioman is my favourite and have been several times, though redang when i went had some great beaches. Redang i have only stayed at the Berjaya, and have stayed at the berjaya in tioman as well, but have also stayed in salang.Any of the salang accomm will do, its a small bay and i always used to turn up. If you have dollar then go berjaya on either island. Berjaya redangs beach is out of this world!!

Diving - good to great on both. Mainly the macrolife though. some nice nudi's, frogfish etc.. though there is a small rocky island off salang which is nice to snorkel and i used to see bump headed parrots, turtles. Pulau renggis and Talui near by nice dives and has small sharks. Redang has lots of black tip reef sharks not far from where the boats moor up.

Best time of year is variable as its malaysian weather but wet season is Nov-May. I went in April once and the weather not great, but in August it was great.

Nb tioman is nice to explore and has wildlife on the island including pythons, coral snakes, sea kraits, cobras, antelope, etc...so go explore...if u like that!

scubachild, your location is given as Samui--I assume you're there long term as opposed to just passing through. The dive season on Redang and Tioman in the South China Sea is the same as for the Gulf of Thailand also in the South China Sea. If it's high season on Samui, it's also high season on Tioman and Redang, and vice versa. Having said that, while our dive ops on Samui stay open even during low season, just about everything on Tioman and Redang closes down then.

To add to the above, as a regular diver to Tioman, the good season is generally from end March til October - Early November can be ok but really depends on when the monsoon hits.

The start and end of the season (April, Oct) often has the best dives and chances of mantas and whale sharks, though the surface conditions will be a little rougher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom