Timelapse Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is _essential_ to have memorycard with quality class10 if you run timelapses faster than 2 sec. intervals.

OK last night I took the Hero2 to the pool and shot a time lapse movie

Some challenges I had not realized before and I had to sort out later:
1. The still pictures come in 4:3 format movie mode is 16:9 I decided to simply crop it instead of using letterbox
2. I was shooting 1 frame per second that is quite a lot I know but gave me a 2:00 movie out of 50 minutes shooting however the gopro created a separate folder each 999 pictures and the file names are the same so I had to rename
3. The movie file comes huge even if I super compress it with high profile I guess this is because it is a time lapse and the program cannot use temporal compression effectively, I ended up at 1GB for 2 minutes!!!
4. The picture had a lot of noise, which is OK and I did not bother correcting this is just for fun. I will have to see what happens when I attach the hero2 to a wreck which will happen next week

I will post the movie shortly on youtube, we had a pool session at the club with a drysuit specialty an open water a guy on side mounts and some other class too so it is really exhilarating seeing all this action together with my going around with my video rig filming them!!!

here we go

[youtubehq]kuh2d8JuOhc[/youtubehq]

Last edited:
One of the hints I read when 1st trying out time lapse photos was if you made your interval time too short, the results looked like sped up video instead of time lapse photography. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you see a good quality time lapse photography video, it does look different than sped up video.

Yes this is the effect I wanted here
It isn't really like a sunset there is too much action going on
If it was more static I would go to one each two seconds and even more for clouds and landscape
But for something like this was more to give the speed up impression as there is nothing natural happening

The question is...timelapse works pretty darn interesting if camera is stationary and it works pretty darn interesting if you are on a boat/car documenting trip but do you think it might work with an actual dive? I've been pondering whether I should try this out in Cozumel when I go there next week. On the other hand I would not want to ruin a perfectly good video footage...

On the reef everything is moving so ehh... you know... might get queazy watching it. with video I at least splice and dice into small segments but timelapse may give me a completely different new way of video taping under water.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2013 at 05:40 PM ----------

This is what I was talking about. Usually timelapse is taken with both subject and camera on same plane.

Concept itself is interesting... have a look at this:

[video=youtube;Um_Q6KvMX2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_Q6KvMX2s[/video]

But thing is... it gets a little disorienting after a while because camera is all over the place. Imagine how cool this footage would have been if it was a submarine following them?

And if overdone or speed up a little too fast it will look like this:

[video=youtube;ukGqXNvQgS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukGqXNvQgS8[/video]

For me timelapse is only worth doing on a tripod on a dive where you have a feature where your people go around like the top of a wreck
Definitely not good for reef dives or if you hold the camera manually
I will only lay down the gopro in a fixed point but for video I have my other rig that works best

Yes, tl is for stationary cameramounts either on ground or stable vehicles or dollys.

-sendt fra mobil

Back
Top Bottom