Time to step up to a better camera.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used to use Canon F1 SLR on land and loved it. Now in this digital era I have found that having a screen to frame the shot was very convenient. Now that I have started diving with a camera, (Sony DSC-V1 Ikelite housing and flash) I have discovered that my old eyes need a larger screen.

Time to step up to a better camera. DSLR cameras don’t seem to use the rear screen for preview so I will get a camera with a large rear screen. However, I would prefer a DSLR but doubt I could see thru the view finder well enough to frame a shot. How do you guys do it? Maybe I’ll just shoot video!

Dave

I think Olympus is the only one that currently does live view on the LCD screen. Some feel the need for it some don't. I find that for shooting WA, the viewfinder is not a problem, but when doing macro, it is a bit more difficult - but a good viewfinder can help immensely. Aquatica makes one for the D200 and their housing, but they're not cheap.

Oly makes a camera with a live preview, the E330.

Some housing manufactures make very nice viewfinders with magnification built-in. Plan on some serious cash if you go with that option as the manufactures tend to be high end to begin with, and the add on viewfinders are generally $500~over 1K.

My aging eyes have issues with small print especially in dim light, but I have no trouble framing images in an Ike Housing.

I shoot a Nikon D200 in a Sea & Sea Housing with the std view finder. After years of shooting a compact camera with lcd "live display" I was a little concerned, but It's not hard to use. I suspect that with a dive or 2 you will find that it's no problem to use the small viewfinder.

Best advice is to find someone that will rent you one to try out.

I love shooting the DSLR underwater, I had outgrown my compact.

Take care,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom