Time to Fly problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to Cozumel soon, and I just picked up my itenerary. I didn't look at it real close at the shop, so when I got home I noticed I have a timing problem.

Its a weekend trip. Fly in Friday. Make two dives Friday afternoon, we got scheduled for our night dive Friday night (I have no idea why) then we were scheduled for two dives Sat afternoon and two Sun afternoon. We fly out Monday morning. The 24 hr window isn't there. I was told we were wait listed for the A.M dives both Sat and Sun. Sunday is obiously the big deal.

Should I try to get this fixed with the travel agent here or try to fix it with the dive op ( Dive House) in Coz.

TwoBit

I'd holler like a stuck pig! While I'm willing to back off to the 17 hours DAN research indicates is probably safe after multiple dives, that's my limit - and if I'm payin' for a package deal supposed to include "x" number of dives, I'd hold the scheduler's feet to the fire to make sure they fell within the "last dive complete with at least 17 hours to wheel in the well." As for who to press for action - that'd be whoever sold you the package.
Rick

Have your travel agent fix it!
Make sure you get what you want and what you paid for.

Do most dive operators in this kind of package pay attention to flight info?

I have heard of some that do. I do believe that its your own responsibility to look out for yourself and not put yourself at any undo risk of harm.

Looking again at my itenerary. The afternoon dives leave the dock at 1:30 assuming we are in the water at 2:30, 50min dive, 45min SI 45 min dive that puts us out between 4:30 and 5p. The flights leaves at 11:35 ish Mon A.M. That's 19 hrs. I hadn't heard the 17hr rule before.

I guess to be clear... We are either doing the AM dives or the PM dives not both. The original trip calls for two dives Sat and two on Sun with a night dive. I saw we had an early flight down so I picked up the Afternoon dives on Fri. I'm just not real happy the Sunday dives are afternoon instead of morning.

TwoBit

If so, take it up with your travel agent or whoever you booked the trip with. Most dive ops don't take your flight schedule into consideration because most of them don't know what it is. They just put you where they have the room. However, your agent does know your flight times and as such should do their best to see that you get what you want. If not, the price for those missed dives should be refunded.

It's ultimately your responsibility though. If you are only doing 2-a-days, you should be OK with the 18hr. time frame. Any more than that and I would take the full 24hrs. After all...you can always dive another time. After a serious hit, you may not be diving at all!

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...
I hadn't heard the 17hr rule before.
It isn't a rule. Let me be perfectly clear here. The exact wording from DAN is "current research suggests that it may be wise to wait 17 hours or more after making repetitive dives. However, the research is as yet incomplete and further work is continuing."
DAN's "recommended" delay is still 24 hours - or more.
A lot depends on the kind of diving you've been doing. If you are able to calculate your highest Navy Tables repetitive group in the 24 hours preceding the flight, there's a table in the NOAA diving manual you may find useful. In that table the times for airline flight range from no delay required at all up to 24 hours.
My personal adherence to a minimum of 17 hours is based on a combination of the DAN research to date and the NOAA tables and assumes no staged decompression diving within 48 hours of the flight - this is my own personal evaluation of the situation and should not be taken as a rule by anyone - and it certainly isn't the recommendation of any diving agency. And if asked what I recommend, it's 24 hours or more.
Rick

Thanks for you replies Rick =)

Its resolved. I'll be on the morning dives both Saturday and Sunday. There will be a 24 hr window from end of dive to fly time. I'm also relieved I won't be upsetting either one of my computers.

Thanks,

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom