time to buy WALs & strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30:
But you will wish you have it when you see a 10m whaleshark swimming by :wink:

You're right! Those are the few that look great! :wink:

alcina, I looked at strobes for some time before deciding on the Inon D-180.
It came down to the YS90DX or the 180 because of size.
The 180 was smaller. It also had the built in focus light that automatically went off when the strobe went off. The focus light was a major point as I would have had to add one anyway for aiming purposes, if nothing else. But the 180's light can be used for aiming as well as focusing. The 180S is cheaper and only has an aiming light.
I also liked the optional fiber optic cable kit on the 180. It has a dark film strip that covers the cameras flash to prevent the housing from lighting up when the internal strobe fires to minimize backscatter.
The 90DX has an optional Velcro patch over the housing flash diffuser to block the cameras flash.
Both strobes use a fiber optic cable to transmit the cameras flash to the strobe head to activate it.
The 180 and 90DX are both designed to work with pre-flash cameras.

Gilligan - did you consider the Ike strobe at all? Just curious as you really know your stuff and you USE your stuff! The 125 has such good reviews/reports...but maybe it is too much.

Weight/size is an issue, but not essential as the vast majority of my diving is local or via car.

I don't mind paying more $$ as I am able to get out and use it and don't want to be thinking, geez I need to update AGAIN!

Still not 100% on needing the dome port, either. I am just wishy washy I guess :)

I have the Ikelite strobe whichI like very much. YS90 has the same guide number as the DS50 (28) while the DS125 is supposed to be more powerful (GN32) so the little extra power might be useful for WA. The main downside of Ikelite DS125 is the size as it is quite a bit bigger than YS 90 and almost 3x the size of Inon 220Z. Color temp of the Ikelite is quite a bit warmer than both Inon and Sea and Sea which is no big deal if you like to fiddle with photoshop. Other nice feature on the Ikelite is a strong modeling light that is good enough for night dive so it make focusing and aiming the strobe during night dive much easier. The battery pack is good for 150 shots at full dump so it should easily last a normal 3 dives/day on a single charge.
If there is going to be a Ikelite DS125 MK 2 I would want a smaller and lighter strobe with exactly the same spec and feature and hopefully a black casing rather the boring grey :) but otherwise I would not change a thing. My dive buddies have Sea and Sea and Inon while I could not exactly convince them to change over to Ikelite, I don't really have a strong desire to switch to the other 2 either so I think whichever strobe you end up with, you should be very happy.

alcina,
I did not consider the Ike strobe. I have nothing against the quality of the product.
I did not consider it because of cost, size, and the extra sensor attachment involved. I think the Ike tray and arm would be needed to keep the system as compact as possible. The manual controller would be another add on.
I cannot turn off the main flash on my camera and still have a pre-flash like the 5050. The Inon D180 subdues the camera's flash internally, the Ike does not.
The 180 made it easy and efficient for digital camera's with a pre-flash followed with the full flash. Their system of covering the camera's flash with a dark film strip thereby subduing it and converting it to infrared to travel through the fiber optic cable to fire their strobe is simple and efficient.

Back
Top Bottom